Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Instead of cholent?

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 9:07 am
I was out most of the week and just realized I only have an itty bitty amount of cholent meat left in my freezer stash. I'm thinking of just skipping cholent but need to serve something else instead. I have some chicken and chicken cutlets in the freezer. No deli meat so no deli roll.

Ideas?

jade

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 10:22 am
Chicken soup in the crockpot. Or, you could grill the chicken breasts or make schnitzel, and have them cold or warmed on top of a pot on the blech.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 10:25 am
Or put chicken in the cholent. We do that all the time.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 10:33 am
I love parve cholent.

Or pan seared/grilled chicken cutlets. Cut into strips shabbos morning and brought to real room temperature. Serve over noodles at room temperature, or over a nice salad.

allergypro

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 11:48 am
Ra mom, how do you make your parve cholent? I can only have parve cholent now due to health reasons and dh insists that I make 2 cuz he can't stand my parve one. I'm wondering if I make a different recipe maybe he'll try it again. 2 crockpots in this weather get's very hot........

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 2:16 pm
allergypro wrote:
Ra mom, how do you make your parve cholent? I can only have parve cholent now due to health reasons and dh insists that I make 2 cuz he can't stand my parve one. I'm wondering if I make a different recipe maybe he'll try it again. 2 crockpots in this weather get's very hot........

Parve Cholent
*1/2 pkg. cholent bean mix (boiled for 5 minutes covered, hot soaked for 1 hour covered, then rinsed)
*1/4 cup barley
*1/2 onion, diced
*2 small garlic cloves, crushed
*2 carrots (1 small, 1 large), peeled and cut into chunks
*2 tsp regular salt OR 1 Tbsp kosher salt
*3 - 1/2 cups water, plus more for under the crockpot liner

Pour 1 - 1/2 cups of water in a 4 qt crockpot. Then line the crockpot with the crockpot bag/liner.
Combine all ingredients in the crockpot.
Set on LOW setting and slow cook for just about 24 hours. Not longer.

-----

You can put in 1-2 (1 large or 2 small) potatoes, but I'm not sure of how much more water you will need. Probably not much.

If you are not using a crockpot liner, you will need more than 3 - 1/2 cups of water. About 4 cups total, but it depends on your crockpot.

Tip: I hot soak 2 bags of cholent beans at a time, then divide into 4 bags and freeze. So making cholent is a breeze. Dump the beans in the crock, and rest of the ingredients, and that's it.

-----

To hot soak the beans: place them in a large pot. Cover beans with water. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Keep pot covered and allow to hot soak for 1 hour. Rinse well and drain.

allergypro

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 2:25 pm
Thanx! It's pretty similar to mine, oh well......

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 2:27 pm
allergypro wrote:
Thanx! It's pretty similar to mine, oh well......
Sorry Sad

For an even better cholent, I used to use 2 parts lentils (gives it a meaty taste), 1 part white navy beans, 1 part kidney beans. But lately it's been easier to just use the cholent mix.

Also, keeping it fresh and simple (ie. not sauteeing the onions first, not cooking it too long or at too high a temperature, using kosher salt that is very taste,) makes a huge difference for Parve cholent. And the carrots come out really good.

Depressed

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 2:31 pm
cold cuts

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 4:34 pm
I also make parve cholent most of times. A trick to make the parve one taste "meaty" is to put vegetarian burgers. I put 2-3 tivalli burgers on top of cholent pot right before it goes on blech (make sure they are wheat/soya protein ones, not just potato or vegtable ones otherwise they go soggy/mushy). Crumble them up in chunks before serving. You can also use TVP (texturised vegetable protein) fake meat chunks. Oh and lots of onions, preferably caramelised first, helps.

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 6:59 pm
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I ended up making a chicken cholent because DH couldn't imagine shabbos without cholent (what is it with guys?!) It wasn't as good as meaty cholent but it was OK and DH liked it. Time to replenish my freezer meat stash, that was the last of my chicken, too!

Depressed

Post Sat, Jul 30 2011, 7:12 pm
wait till after T b'Av

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 12:20 pm
I'm bumping up this thread because I'm out of meat again, didn't have time to shop for more this week at all, and I really am not into chicken cholent or parve cholent. Looking for real, ALTERNATIVE, CREATIVE, WARM ideas (to fulfill minhag of having warm food Shabbos day) We have some cold cuts for meat so it doesn't have to be fleishig.

I'd do chicken cutlets but no idea how to keep them moist and soft when reheating?

naomi2

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 2:07 pm
sometimes I put potato kugel batter in the crock pot it tastes great the next day. if you ave any meat at all you can add that so theres chunks of meat. but really the kugel is warm and delicious on its own

EMmom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 3:36 pm
ghoulash - I have one with chicken hot dog potatoes and red pepper
or I have one with meat - more stewlike

shaini

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 2:41 am
I know it's too late for this week, but I have a recipe (don't remember where I got it from) using a crockpot where you put three different parts in it. One you put carrots sprinkled with cumin, the other chickpeas with either cut up dates or apricots I think and the third you put rice with sauteed onion and/or mushrooms and on top should be chicken pieces which you have added dates or apricots or similar to under the skin and then you pour over all some white wine and I think it's orange juice. I'm sure you could make something like this without the chicken on top.

If anyone is interested in this I can post/edit this when I find my recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus