Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Moldy jam

est

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 2:57 pm
I don't use jam very often but like to keep it in my fridge for recipes that call for it. my problem is that they go moldy so quickly once they have been opened. I am careful to always use a clean knife/spoon and not to put it back into the jar once it has touched any food, but it still goes moldy. the mold sits on the top layer and parts of the glass jar above it. does this happen to you? is it unhealthy to cut that layer off, clean the jar and use the rest? and is there a way to prevent it getting moldy in the first place?
all advice appreciated.

Shopmiami49

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 4:42 pm
Well, I sure hope it's ok to just cut off the moldy part (and some) b/c that is what I always do!

naomi2

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 11:49 pm
never seen moldy jam and ive seen lots of moldy food. is your fridge working well?

est

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 4:02 pm
my fridge is fine and this is the only processed thing that gets moldy.

shopmiami49 - you made me feel a lot better bc I hate throwing food out.

anyone has any ideas for prevention?

myself

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 4:19 pm
Interesting, I used to store jam in the cupboard for years and nothing ever happened, then at one point it started getting moldy all the time. I threw away the moldy bit and used the remainder. I then changed to storing it in the fridge and it's never gone moldy since. Perhaps try to store it at the back where it's colder?

chanahlady

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 5:52 pm
In general:

mold on soft foods = toss the whole thing out

mold on hard foods = cut off the mold.

By the time you see mold, the mold spores have already infiltrated the entire thing (less so in hard foods). So why eat it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen