Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Legal Holidays--- Frustrated!!!
Previous  1  2

are you off on Labor Day
Yes- heimishe office and we work legal holidays  
 28%  [ 12 ]
no-  
 66%  [ 28 ]
Not sure yet-- depends if boss has getaway plans  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 11:19 am
I never have off. Ever. I get paid by the hour (frum place). Officially I'm supposed to work Labor Day, but without babysitting and with school orientation, it isn't so doable. I think I'll work a couple of hours with the kids before orientation. I need the money. Especially since I have to take off for YT but won't be paid. It's not a "perk" to get off for YT if you're still not paid. It's not like I can use the day to catch up on anything that needs to get done.

Whatever, I should stop complaining. But it's really, really hard when you feel like you have to always work so you can bring home money but there is no one available to watch your kids.

farm

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 1:17 pm
So "fair" is
1. Off with pay Jewish holidays but not legal ones (although you can use vacation days if you want to be off)
2. Off with pay legal holidays but not Jewish ones (so you are forced to use your vacation days)
3. "per diem" type workers who are paid when they work and don't get paid when they don't (HY, it sounds like you are in this category). Usually get more per hour than a salaried 9-5 employee since there is no benefits or vacation for this type of employee

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 2:16 pm
If you take Jewish and legal holidays, your vacations will be TINY! and if the office is closed anyway on legal holidays, well, you have to take them.

Marion

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 2:13 pm
Of my 21 paid vacation days a year, up to 8 of them are used for erev chag & chol hamoed...and my employer doesn't charge me full days for those!

The other 13 are used for days I have no childcare (school, camp, whatever). I think maybe I take one real vacation day a year...usually sometime the week before Pesach...

catonmylap

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 3:44 pm
Marion wrote:
Of my 21 paid vacation days a year, up to 8 of them are used for erev chag & chol hamoed...and my employer doesn't charge me full days for those!

The other 13 are used for days I have no childcare (school, camp, whatever). I think maybe I take one real vacation day a year...usually sometime the week before Pesach...

that's a really nice number of days.... I only get 10 a year, and if I take erev chag or chol hamoed, it counts as a full day....

Tova

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 8:40 pm
I get 23 vacation days but...there are a lot more vacation days to take off for here in the US!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 03 2011, 11:22 pm
catonmylap wrote:
Marion wrote:

that's a really nice number of days.... I only get 10 a year, and if I take erev chag or chol hamoed, it counts as a full day....

I dont have any "vacation days" but maybe I'll ask for a certain amount of vacation days per year for my raise.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 10:19 pm
I work for a Jewish but not frum place. I get legal holidays (I think there are only 6) plus 13 yom tov days when they fall on weekdays. For purim and Tisha B'av and chol hamoed I use vacation. Erev YT and Erev Shabbos they close at 3. But don't be jealous - My salary is very low.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 11:05 pm
farm wrote:

3. "per diem" type workers who are paid when they work and don't get paid when they don't (HY, it sounds like you are in this category). Usually get more per hour than a salaried 9-5 employee since there is no benefits or vacation for this type of employee
But I don't.
The only reason I'm still in this job is because it's impossible to find anything else that works with the kids' school schedule.
I get lower than what I should get at this stage in my career, and if I worked a 40 hour week, I'd get well below what I should get for my profession and level. I'm so stressed out and frustrated right now. Between taking off for legal holidays/school orientation/Y"T and not having enough work to compensate hours at home, I'm not bringing in what I should be, but my tuition still needs to get paid regardless. Sigh.

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 3:10 am
catonmylap wrote:
Marion wrote:

How can they charge you a full day of vacation for erev chag when it's only half a working day? (And, IIRC, you work for an American company? And don't work Sunday?)

farm

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 10:33 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
farm wrote:

But I don't.
The only reason I'm still in this job is because it's impossible to find anything else that works with the kids' school schedule.
I get lower than what I should get at this stage in my career, and if I worked a 40 hour week, I'd get well below what I should get for my profession and level. I'm so stressed out and frustrated right now. Between taking off for legal holidays/school orientation/Y"T and not having enough work to compensate hours at home, I'm not bringing in what I should be, but my tuition still needs to get paid regardless. Sigh.

I'm sorry Sad
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics