Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
New computer for graphics...?

yummydd

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 8:13 pm
I am in the market for a new computer. I use it mostly for graphics and to browse the web. I am considering a apple desktop, is this a good choice? What do I need to look out for when buying it. Am I better of with a windows computer for what I need it?
I would appreaciate all the advice I can get.
Thanks

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 9:07 pm
When you say you need it for graphics, what exactly do you mean? Do you plan to run Adobe Creative Suite on it? If not, what software will you be running?

yummydd

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 9:11 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
When you say you need it for graphics, what exactly do you mean? Do you plan to run Adobe Creative Suite on it? If not, what software will you be running?

I mostly use adobe photoshop.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 04 2011, 9:15 pm
First of all, a Windows computer can do anything a Mac can and will cost you a lot, lot less.

If PS is what you need, you want a fast processor (like quad core) and fast video card (no integrated graphics).

Kayza

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 1:09 pm
If you already have the software, you need to factor in the cost of buying the software gain. That can be significant.

When you say that you are using photoshop, do you mean Phtoshop Elements, the full Package, or the full Creative Suite? And what kind of work are you doing.

At the higher end, there is not that much of a price difference between mac and pc. So, if that's what you need, I would suggest getting what most of your colleagues use, because it makes it easier to get informal help.

If you are doing heavy graphics work (eg very large photos, or major transformations), then you need alot of memory (4 GB minimum, 8 gb better), discrete graphics (ie a decent graphics card, not built in graphics that shares main memory), a higher speed processor (in the case of intel, you want at least a current i5), and a decent hard drive (which is one reason why a laptop is usually not the best choice for this kind of work.)

kb

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 2:15 pm
Quote:
If you already have the software, you need to factor in the cost of buying the software gain. That can be significant.

I don't believe this is true about adobe programs - you can trade in software for a new platform for free.

The graphics Industry uses macs. I have experience on both and I really feel like there's nothing like a mac! They're more expensive, but I like them better, and if you have any problems, just bring it into a apple store and get it fixed! (And Apple on 5th Avenue is open 24 hrs a day.) You don't get that with a PC.

Kayza

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 8:34 pm
kb wrote:

Quote:

I don't believe this is true about adobe programs - you can trade in software for a new platform for free.

Not true. I just recently had to deal with this, and they told us that we have to purchase the software (possibly it was an upgrade price, but it was significant.)
Quote:

The graphics Industry uses macs. I have experience on both and I really feel like there's nothing like a mac! They're more expensive, but I like them better, and if you have any problems, just bring it into a apple store and get it fixed! (And Apple on 5th Avenue is open 24 hrs a day.) You don't get that with a PC.

The graphics industry is no longer as tied to the mac as it has been.

Apple service is legendary, but you can get excellent service on PCs as well, if you choose carefully.

The real questions are how heavily the the OP is going to use the computer and how dependent she is going to be on it. How much does she need a high end computer (ie is she doing stuff that is really compute intensive or not.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics