Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What foods don't need a hechsher?
Previous  1  2

Leesah

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 8:03 am
I'm wondering; in Israel, do fresh mushrooms need a hechsher?
Anyone know?

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 8:12 am
Seraph wrote:

Btw, Liba, you said raw grains you'd buy without a hechsher. What about raw rolled oats or steel cut oats? Would you hold that as a raw grain that can be bought hechsher free, or one that needs good hashgacha?

Once they are cut and processed we only buy them with hashgacha.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 8:16 am
Liba wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Btw, Liba, you said raw grains you'd buy without a hechsher. What about raw rolled oats or steel cut oats? Would you hold that as a raw grain that can be bought hechsher free, or one that needs good hashgacha?

Ah ok. What about things like white rice, white flour, which are processed, but are still raw?

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 8:26 am
Seraph wrote:
Liba wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Ah ok. What about things like white rice, white flour, which are processed, but are still raw?

They generally have vitamins added in the US, so we only buy them with hasgacha there and here there are other issues, so we buy with hashgacha here as well.

small bean

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 10:10 am
I think everything on this list, I would buy, except cut fresh fruit. actually, I try to buy with hechsher because I don't know so much, but dh will buy without as he is learned and knows what's ok) the really good olive oils don't usualy have a hechsher, so we buy that, also flax seeds I'll buy without. the rest of the things, only if my dh goes shopping...

lst

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 10:28 am
I;m not sure if fresh mushrooms in E"Y need a hechsher, but they do need to be checked for bugs.

ally

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 11:03 am
During shmita I was told I could buy any mushrooms so I guess we hold that they don't need a hechsher.

September June

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 11:04 am
Whole spices don't either need a hechsher but once they're ground or chopped, they do.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 11:15 am
Sonny Joon wrote:
Whole spices don't either need a hechsher but once they're ground or chopped, they do.

or dried. They often use agents (possibly non kosher) to keep spices from sticking when being dried.

ElTam

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 1:50 pm
We had Rabbi Eidlitz's list on our fridge for a long time, but it disappeared (kids like to play with magnets).

I cannot find it on his website. If anyone knows the link, I would appreciate it, as I am bothering my rav with phone calls from the grocery store more often than I would like.

nylon

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 2:56 pm
My understanding was that EVOO is okay because it is mechanically (cold) pressed. Most oils undergo more processing. I do wonder, now, if those cold pressed, unfiltered nut oils would be okay by the same logic. But I wouldn't buy something like canola oil without a hechsher because I know how much processing is involved.

When I lived in the UK I bought most of those things without a hechsher, which the LBD said was fine. Here in the US, it only comes into play if I buy in bulk, or if I buy one of the local brands of milk (OU says it's fine). I do buy basmati rice in bulk (not enriched anyhow). I will buy raw items in bulk--nuts, beans, flours, etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen