Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My babysitter holds my baby while on her cell phone

amother

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:33 am
I have a sitter who talks on the phone all day long. A few times I have come home to find her holding my infant baby and talking on her cell phone. I read not to use a cell phone while holding a baby because of radiation. I will say something to the sitter but this has been going on for months - is it very bad? I am so worried and upset at myself for not yet having told my sitter to not use her phone while holding my child.

Raizle

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 7:45 am
personally I wouldn't do it nor would I allow a babysitter to do it.
Not to mention she should be watching your kid, not talking on the phone.

I don't like even so much as holding my cell phone because it hurts my hand to hold it,(throbbing feeling) hurts my hip to keep it in a pocket, and hurts my ears to talk on it. I'm that sensitive so I therefore have more of a sensitivity to kids being exposed by it.

make her stop

ElTam

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 9:04 am
From what I have read, the radiation is not really a danger, but she is being paid to watch your child, not gab on the phone. If she can't stop, she needs to be replaced.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 9:46 am
I was actually told she talked on the phone the entire way to tge park with my child and then in the park when she watched my toddler play. I need to speak with her.

morah

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 10:27 am
I wouldn't worry too much about the radiation, but I would worry that she's talking on the phone while she's supposed to be watching your kid. There's a reason why people aren't supposed to talk on the phone while they drive- and people (babysitters AND parents) should not be talking on the phone while watching kids, for the same reason.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 10:37 am
Holding the baby while talking on the phone -- doesn't bother me. What trouble can the kid get into? (How old is the baby?)
Having a kid run around while she gabs away -- not proper supervision. I cannot speak on the phone when watching my kids if I expect there to be any semblance of safety or order.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 12:42 pm
She has been watching my baby since she was young now she is 6 months - I read in parents magazine (I think) that we shouldnt talk on our cell phones while holding our kids because they can receive radiation through that. It also said not to let toddlers play with our cell phones for that same reason.

My toddler is older. She doesn't think its wrong as she does it right in front of me or in my yard while she is watching my toddler on the swing set but someone told me she takes calls in the park when she has my toddler alone and also she walks the whole way to the park talking on her phone. That I will have to discuss with her.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 12:48 pm
The studies on cell phone radiation are really inconclusive. As of now, its not a concern I have. However, talking on the phone on the job is not professional and she won't be giving them proper care. I would make a general rule about limiting phone use while working, aside from her break.

Raizle

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 11:08 pm
all I know about cell phones is that when I talk on one, my ear throbs and burns.
when I hold it in my hand my hand throbs and hurts
when I wear it in my pocket, I feel it in my hip.

so I don't care what's conclusive or not, I FEEL it doing something to me!

and I'm not the only one

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 11:37 pm
Raizle, it sounds like you suffer from electromagnetic hypersensitivity. People with this condition can feel symptoms from lots of devices, from fluorescent lights to WiFi.

I completely understand that you want to avoid your symptoms. For the general population, study after study has demonstrated no known risk involved with cell phone use (or fluorescent lights).

blue eyes

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 11:45 pm
Why dont u ask her to use a bluetooth?

Depressed

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 12:11 am
Id be a lot more worried she will drop the baby. If you have wifi in your house pr a neighbor within 500 ft you are getting way more radiation..

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 12:25 am
Just plain get another sitter.

It is a relationship job. Would you like a husband or friend who talked all the time on the phone while they were in your presence? Then why are you making your kid accept being ignored when you would not accept that for yourself?

This phone activity is an addiction like gambling or gaming. A true addiction.

Times are tight. There are a million nice people who would love the work.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:36 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Raizle, it sounds like you suffer from electromagnetic hypersensitivity. People with this condition can feel symptoms from lots of devices, from fluorescent lights to WiFi.

I completely understand that you want to avoid your symptoms. For the general population, study after study has demonstrated no known risk involved with cell phone use (or fluorescent lights).

The most recent reports I've read say that the original studies were flawed, and that they have since been debunked.

Personally, I'd be thrilled that she's actually holding the baby, and not just sticking her in a high chair or leaving her in her crib all day! The baby is getting person to person contact, and that's very important. Most babysitters can't be bothered to even pick the kid up unless they need changing or feeding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics