Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Spinoff -- Do you hold your baby while on your cell phone?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 9:55 am
There were plenty of negative responses on the thread about the babysitter holding a baby while on her cell phone, but no one who said, "What's the big deal? I do that too!"

I definitely talked on my cell phone while holding my babies. Posters on that thread had three main issues with it:

1. the whole radiation issue
2. you're not really paying attention to the baby, giving "quality time"
3. you might drop the baby, it's not safe

That thread addressed the radiation issue, so let's put that aside. What about the other two issues? Are you really scared you're going to drop your baby when on your cell phone? If the baby is little enough to be held a lot, I'm assuming they're also little enough that they're not going to be harmed by being held while doing something else. Hey, it is different than reading a book while holding a baby? Than watching a movie, or just taking a walk while holding a baby? You're also ignoring the baby. You really expect your babysitter (and yourself, as a mother) to play "this little piggy" every single second that your baby is up?

This is coming from a mother who keeps her babies home for the two years or so of their lives. I love them to pieces, and I love spending time with them. And I DO play with them, even when they're young enough that they may not realize what I'm doing. But much of the time, yes, I try to HOLD them as opposed to just plopping them in a swing all day...but I do have a need, as a mommy, to keep up with friends and family. And if I'm holding my baby for a good chunk of the day, then that's when I'm going to be on my cell phone.

Did I miss something?

tovli toraspicha

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:54 am
I didn't see the other thread, but I do talk on the cell phone while holding my baby, as well as take care of other things. I am home with my baby a lot, and while I play with her and pay attention to her a lot, I am not focusing only on her 24/7, even if I am holding her. I think this is important for both of us, so that I can get some things done during the day and so that she can learn to play on her own, or just look around and take in her surroundings. I do talk to her a lot, so even if I am doing something else, I try to include her.

My baby is only at the babysitter a couple of hours a day, but I don't expect the babysitter to be playing with her every minute, as long as she does play with her some of the time, and is always being responsible and making sure that my baby is safe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics