Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I Wanna' Cry!!!

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 9:45 pm
Today I had an appointment for consultation with a doctor who performs the lap band surgery. After sitting in the waiting room for hours, I was totally dismayed when I was told that I am not fat enough to qualify for the surgery. I am devastated! I am very generously cushioned, want to lose 50 pounds, and don't have the frame of mind to do it through dieting; I feel I need the physical restriction of the tummy band. It's bizarre that one needs to be 100 lbs. overweight to qualify and then be thinner than a person like me who also needs/wants to lose so badly!!!

Esther01

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 11:19 pm
Sorry that you are feeling so down....

I was just wondering if you know that after the lap band surgery you have to restrict yourself to a very hard diet... you have to prepare yourself special food, drink the right time...etc. so you would have to do the dieting and recover from a surgery.

why don't you just diet regularly and loose the 50 lbs. they do say that after the surgery it can take up to a year to see the results.

now I am on the regular startfresh diet for 10 months and lost already 50 lbs. (that's in less than a year) I still hope to loose another 20 lbs.

hatzlacha.

FINKEL

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 12:07 am
it was great meeting you today at the office,you look beautifull , k'eh, nobody would even call you over weight,
just do some excercise....hashem will do the rest
you were great company by the way...hope I didnt bore you...

Tefila

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 12:14 am
Quote:
After sitting in the waiting room for hours, I was totally dismayed when I was told that I am not fat enough to qualify for the surgery

U know if you have one or more illness I.e. high colestrol etc you can still qualify with a lower bmi.
Me I am starting a new diet hope it lasts me more then a week Sad

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 1:52 am
Downs.. so sorry you don't qualify..
but then again.. mabye it's a good thing... means, you're healthy....
The only thing I can do now is wish you luck with diet.. I know it ain't easy..

cindy324

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 10:42 am
why don't you speak to your doc about something like Meridia? It's an appetite suppressant, it actually works by sending a signal to your brain while you're eating that you're full after a lot less food. Of course you have to eat healthy and excercise is a plus, but the weight will come off a lot easier.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 2:04 pm
cindy324 wrote:
why don't you speak to your doc about something like Meridia? It's an appetite suppressant, it actually works by sending a signal to your brain while you're eating that you're full after a lot less food. Of course you have to eat healthy and excercise is a plus, but the weight will come off a lot easier.

I have less trust in stuff that gets swallowed, thereby decreasing apetite, than by surgery. I wouldn't take any 'diet pills'.

cindy324

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 7:38 pm
Quote:
I have less trust in stuff that gets swallowed, thereby decreasing apetite, than by surgery. I wouldn't take any 'diet pills'.

Wouldn't take any pills but would go under general anesthesia and major surgery, rather than try something a lot less drastic?? After all , we are talking about only 50 lbs...

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 8:18 pm
Cindy, what happens once I lose the fifty (with the help of diet pills) pounds? Stop the pills and gain back 100 lbs.?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 8:22 pm
I understand you, downs. I called about lap band surgery too, but based on my phone interview, they said that I don't qualify. Maybe I should eat my way to being 100lbs overweight to qualify? Just kidding.. But it is frustrating, and dieting just doesn't work for me. I yo-yo up and down. The thing that does me in is pregnancy. I lose and feel fantastic, then get pregnant and it all goes out the window. Is weight gain a reason to not have more kids?

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:
I understand you, downs. I called about lap band surgery too, but based on my phone interview, they said that I don't qualify. Maybe I should eat my way to being 100lbs overweight to qualify? Just kidding.. But it is frustrating, and dieting just doesn't work for me. I yo-yo up and down. The thing that does me in is pregnancy. I lose and feel fantastic, then get pregnant and it all goes out the window. Is weight gain a reason to not have more kids?

Is weight loss in pregnancy a reason to go ahead and have more and more kids? That's my issue. I am at my thinnest and look best when pregnant (even though I feel horrible). I have not gained an ounce during my last several pregnancies, in fact I usually end up losing up to 2 pounds. After I deliver, about a week later, I have a 20 pound loss from b/4 pregnancy and I look terrific. Then all hell breaks loose and I develop an apetite that makes me feel like the Grand Canyon is in my stomach and it will never fill up. I end up gaining about 30 lbs. and that's how MY struggle sends me on the yo-yo path.
amother above, how many kinderlach do you have and how old are you?

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 8:35 pm
Down's I'm so sorry you feel so dissapointed and I understand why. You do realize that its not that you dont qualify for the surgery, its that you dont qualify for your insurance to pay for it. I know peopl who werent quite heavy enough who ended up paying out of pocket.

cindy324

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 8:53 pm
Quote:
Cindy, what happens once I lose the fifty (with the help of diet pills) pounds? Stop the pills and gain back 100 lbs.?

Wait, did you think that lapband surgery is a guarantee for never regaining??You still have to change your eating habits and learn to eat the right portions. I know quite a few people who have had gastric bypass AND gained back weight, some gained back a LOT! I don't know how the lapband surgery differs from gastric bypass/stomach stapling and such, but I would think that it's not a miracle solution.

Once u stop the Meridia, your stomach has shrunken from eating consistently less, for a considerable amount of time, therefor you eat less even without the pills.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 9:08 pm
Everybody has to know themselves. I know my problem.
I have met women who are gluttons; they llve for food, they dream food, they talk food, etc. I am not like that at all! I am just hungry all the time. Therefore, if my stomach will be shrunken I will be able to stick to a diet and make lifetime changes. Yes, I do get a sweet tooth, but when your stomach has the capacity to accept 20 cookies, then you are in trouble. But, when your stomach has been banded and you have a craving, you can satiate it with 2 cookies and still maintain weight loss.

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 9:10 pm
Quote:
Wait, did you think that lapband surgery is a guarantee for never regaining??You still have to change your eating habits and learn to eat the right portions. I know quite a few people who have had gastric bypass AND gained back weight, some gained back a LOT! I don't know how the lapband surgery differs from gastric bypass/stomach stapling and such, but I would think that it's not a miracle solution.

Nothing is guarenteed or a miracle solution to weight loss, but I think lapband offers something never seen b4 in the surgical weight loss world. I also know people who have lost tremendous amounts of weight with gastric bypass only to gain it all back and then some, it can happen. my surgeon has put many lap bands on failed gastric bypass patients. Lap band is just a tool to weight loss, its adjustable so you know if you ever start gaining weight back you can just go and tighten it and get yourself back on track, this isnt possible with other weight loss surgeries.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 2:00 pm
It’s a lifestyle change, Downs. I lost 32 lbs and am keeping most of it off. I’m sure you’ve read about it on other threads of mine.

MyKidsRQte

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 2:24 pm
I was 68 pounds overweight(not at my heaviest) when I decided I want to do the surgery. Over the last few years I would gain and lose 40 pounds, leaving me with 50-60 pounds to go. I became so frustrated that I gained 20 pounds to be able to do the surgery. Even then I wasnt eligible, but I had a couple of co-morbidities to go with it. I was borderline diabetic(my mother was a diabetic) and I had high cholesterol. My sugar level went down to normal but my cholesterol is still very high.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise