Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I let my kids watch movies way too often.....

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 6:57 pm
I don't know if it's because I am pregnant or just have no patience, but I have been letting my children watch DVD's on a ridiculous basis. They wake at 6AM and go straight to it. My children are boys ages 6,5 and 1. Sad to say but my one yr old knows how to turn on the movies himself! It became so convenient to let them just watch movies. In the summer it was a good 3 hours per day and now that school started its about 45 in morning and 1 hour in evening. I feel like the absolute worst mother. Anyone have anything to say that might scare me and wake me up from this laziness? It's just so convenient when I am tired and can't cope with them.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 9:01 pm
I know exactly what you're going through. I am a SAHM and my ds is 2.5. His first day of playgroup was today, but even that will only be just 4 hrs in the morning. Until then he's been home with me full time. All summer long and earlier I have felt this intense guilty feeling when sticking him in front of a movie. We have a tiny ancient tv with build in vhs in his room. He watches between 1-3 movies a day! I feel awful! Thomas, Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Winnie the Pooh, Baby Einstein (but he's outgrown those), the Wiggles, Barney, and Toy Story (which dh claims is too violent). I wish I at least had some Jewish themed vhs's - that' on my list to look for. I just get very overwhelmed (and I just have 1!) and being his constant entertainment is so draining at the end of the day. I wish I could find some more activities that he could do on his own to entertain himself.

Kugglegirl

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 9:29 pm
It is very hard to keep little children entertained. & only children who have only mommy to entertain them are definateley a challenge. Give your self some credit that you are being selective about what they watch, are aware of how much time they are doing it & are considering what else can be done.

My mom gave us a bunch of childern's tapes to listen to. They would do that & color or play w. some toys. When my kids were little they sometimes could be entertained w. that.

I also use to set the whole dining room up for crafts-- glue, stickers, markers etc. all week long & tried to get them to do that. Water color paints are pretty good too-- & not too messy. I put a vinyl tablecloth down & let them do many pages or items.

My kids did (&do) get more screen time when I'm pregnant--- Though now that they are older, I can send them out for playdates, or have other kids over & it is not so much work. This & having moved to a neighborhood w. more kids their age has helped a lot. As well as all the great homework the teachers give them starting in Kindergarden, so that also reduces how much time they could possibly have to look at a screen.

The reality is that little kids are a lot of work & both they & you need some down time at some point. For those of us who do not have family who can/will help, or unlimited funds for nannys etc. some screen time is not the worst thing in the world. (All those families who will not be marrying in w. my kids, just PM me your names right now & make my life easier in 10 years.)

Really, give yourself credit for making a safe, nurturing home for your children.

When they finally learn to read, I musty say, it is such a blessing (though then you will be wondering what you can let them read & trying to keep them from what ever you decide they can't read & all their friends can...) B' H' I now have some kids who can sit & read for hours! That for sure keeps them busy.

Hang on & you will get there.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 10:40 pm
My 3 kids watch that much TV and I am not pregnant!

Don't worry!
You're doing the best you could!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 4:49 am
I say as long as your child doesn't display addiction signs (refusing to do other stuff he normally likes, crying to be back home to see movies), it is fine.

If you can encourage to do other stuff, even at the same time, like drawing, reading, whatever, it is good. If not... this too shall pass!!

I say ditto about onlies and about siblings who for any reason don't play together.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 8:44 am
op here. wow I thought you would all attack me for this but instead you gave me the support and encouragement I needed. there are alot of things I didnt include like I am at sahm, dh works crazy hours, I having extremely hard pregnancy and I feel like I just can't handle life. so sometimes when I feel super guilty, I think about the alternatives. they can sit and watch curious george or I can yell and scream at them for the smallest things. I just hope they won't have long term negative effects. but for now I think this is just the way I need to cope. sometimes I wonder how women can raise all these children without a dvd player lol. to me its G-ds greatest gift to mommies.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 8:46 am
Instead of going to movies, come up with a plan of activities to pull out instead.

Make sure you have intriguing toys and play with them.

Read lots of books.

Color and do art projects.

Play games (like hide and seek if they like that).

Get them outside to play.

Its hard sometimes to be an active parent. But its well worth it.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 9:31 am
videos are better then tv for some reason since the kid is watching the same thing over and over. (educationally, not yiddishkiet)

Try and get some good Jewish ones as well so at least they have some Jewish content.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 11:41 am
The 6 and 5 yr old can listen to storytapes instead... they can even stay in bed and listen... or play on the floor while listening... my kids used to be dvd addicts too, once they can enjoy storytapes the dvds stop.

Another mom

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:16 pm
My son lets his kids watch only twice a week and thet got used to it very easily...

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 5:35 pm
My kids were raised in a house with a tv long before home computers and iPads and iPhones. They all got 1 hour of video a week starting at about age 4. It's interesting that my grandchildren all have been raised the same way except their families all have own computers, iPads and iPhones. At 15, dependent on grades and behavior fewer restrictions were imposed. (1 hour of video viewing a day for example.) All are devoted readers and the grandchildren all received ereaders at an early age (but no access to games or videos.)

Queen6

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:55 pm
There is NO excuse for kids watching videos on a regular basis. It does not matter what they watches is or not - they're brains are turning into marshmallows. You are doing your child a terrible disservice.
Children should play. Inside or outside. Creative games, arts and crafts, swings... There are plenty of things to do stuffing them in front of a video is what's making them not be able to play.
They also say the blue ray makes you not fall asleep Smile
Do your kids a favor and take it away. Let their minds grow a bit.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 6:57 pm
This thread is almost 4 years old. Hopefully the OP has learned some new tricks by now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics