Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can anything be done??

No cakes

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 9:52 am
my son in bh 12 mnths (and im expecting another any time soon imyh) and he doest sleep thru the night he still wakes up for feedings. and I wanted to know if theres anything I can do to make him sleep thru or will it come by itself as he grows older?? cause soon ill b getting up for another plus him.... im scared I wont handle it....

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 9:55 am
Put a bottle of water in his crib. And try Ferberizing him...

spring13

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 2:00 pm
How many night feedings is he getting? By 12 months, he shouldn't really need them anymore - you ought to be able to cut back. instead of automatically giving him a bottle when he wakes in the night, find other ways to soothe him - rocking, cuddling, singing. Be warned, it probably means a couple of crazy nights til he gets used to it, but he may surprise you and get used to it quickly. recruit your DH to handle some of the wakeups if you can.

are you comfortable with sleep training methods that involve letting him cry? unless he is very high-strung, Ferber or similar techniques are most likely to be effective quickly. again, he's old enough now to be able to eat enough to get him through a longer period of time, so there's less of a worry that you're leaving him hungry. if you want to look at books, try the ones by Ferber and Mindell. lots of people like the No-Cry Sleep Solution, but I haven't tried it - I just know that it does involve some more work, and may take longer to be effective. depending how much time you have til the new baby is born, you might want to try something that I likely to work sooner, or you may be able to take your time.

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 2:33 pm
time to ferberize… its a bit late to be starting, but I guess u have no choice now!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 3:03 pm
emesornt wrote:
time to ferberize… its a bit late to be starting, but I guess u have no choice now!!

I Ferberized my youngest. He was almost 2.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 3:13 pm
Let's have some more details before people keep yelling "Ferber!" What's his eating schedule like during the day? When/how often exactly is this night waking, and what is he actually doing when he wakes up?

abmom

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 3:44 pm
Does he still sleep in your room? My 10 month old was waking up every 1/2 hour or so. Last week I moved him out and he started making 7-10 hour stretches! And I'm a different person too!

No cakes

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 7:08 pm
op here: he still sleeps in my room but will be going out shortly. I never tried letting him cry or other things if he wakes up at night. when he goes to sleep he gets a 6 or 8 oz bottle of formula w cereal in it.
im sorry I see this word Ferberized have no clue what it means??? lol.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 7:18 pm
Definitely start be moving him out of your room. For some kids, that makes all the difference.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 10:12 pm
Putting baby to bed with a bottle with anything other than water is not recommended because it's not good for his teeth.

mommy#1

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 10:21 pm
Get him out of your room! 2 weeks ago, my dh said, just try keeping our ds out of our room only one night. Let's see what happens. (he was 9.5 m.o. then) That was the first night that he slept through the night. I really didnt want to let him cry it out, and I read the no cry sleep solution, but it was easier for me to just nurse my baby back to sleep than follow it, so I thought he'd still be getting up 1-2x a night until at least 18 months. I moved him out, and that's all he needed. I highly recommend doing that!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 10:21 pm
Moving him out of the room is a good idea. Try giving him water ( with drop of juice if you want). Giving him formula will just make him wake up for more.

No cakes

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 12:27 pm
But the bottle of formula is like his last meal b4 he goes to slp. so u think if I give him a juice bottle rather then formula hell slp longer and wont get up in middle of the night??

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 12:30 pm
ok, so my babies never sleep in my room, from day one and bh they all slept through the night by abt 6 weeks average. the Ferber method, involves letting the baby cry it out. its that simple. of course, if the baby is in your room, that'll be very hard to do. good luck.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 12:47 pm
No bottles in the bed, EVER! There's tons of research out there that not only is it bad for the teeth, but you're setting him up for ear infections, too. Give him a paci if you need to, but no bottles!

For the last feeding, hold him and let him drink from the bottle, or better yet, give him solids and a half a bottle of milk/formula. Rock him, talk to him softly, and then put him down in his own room. I'm willing to bet that he'll crash out without a fuss.

DD had a hard time staying asleep in my room because she would wake up with every breath, every rustle of the covers, every time I rolled over, etc. She always wanted to know what was going on, and if she woke up she automatically assumed that it was PLAY TIME!

Confused

Moving her out was the best thing for all of us, and she slept just fine after that. We did end up cosleeping later, but not until she developed good sleep habits.

chatouli

Post Mon, Sep 12 2011, 1:14 pm
What helped me was disassociating the last bottle from sleep time. I starting giving the (milk) bottle BEFORE his bath, then pajamas, brushing teeth, story and bed. He stopped thinking of his bottle as something that puts him to sleep and stopped waking up for it. Being in his own room was also definitely helpful. Good luck and b'shaa tova!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics