Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd's voice disappeared- last May!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 6:51 am
This is basically a vent, though if anyone else has experience with this, please let me know.

My 5 year old dd used to have a very sweet voice. She did have a vocal cord issue as a newborn, which caused her to cry silently.

That resolved itself and the next issue that came up was last winter, when she started choking a couple of times a day. She would choke or gag on food and drinks.

That resolved itself too and now her voice is gone. It took a big fight to get an ENT to squeeze her in in June, but then he did a scope, which showed tons of mucus in her voice box, which was all inflamed. He guessed the cause was severe acid reflux and put her on medicine. It didn't help one little bit. So I spoke to the doctor who said she needs to be seen again and they'll squeeze her in. I spoke to the receptionist who said they'll squeeze her in- in November! Yes, November, as in 2 months from now!

The poor kid has to repeat everything she says 10 times before I can make out what she's trying to say, and I wish there was something I could do to help her. I've tried switching ENTs, but I can't find any others who take my insurace. I asked how much a visit would cost if I pay out of pocket, and with a scope it comes out to about $1000. Yikes!

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 7:00 am
Sad I hope you get an answer. I was thinking reflux of polyps on her vocal cords. Either way it is time to get her seen. Can you ask if they have a cancellation list? I would call on a weekly or biweekly basis to see if they have had any cancellations and try to get her seen sooner.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 8:45 am
They can't check cancelations for the past 2 weeks because the doctor was on vacation last week and is sick this week. Therefore, the receptionist insisted she can't be seen until November. When I said we can't wait that long, she said, "Don't you understand what I just said? The doctor is sick and we don't know when he'll be back. I can't give you an appointment now."

When I said he surely won't be out until November, she said to call back next week to see what they can do. It's been another week and another week...

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 9:23 am
This happened to me in highschool. I couldnt talk for a month. I saw an allergist, an ENT and a GI. The end of the story was also acid reflux. I would highly suggest seeing a pediatric gastroenterolgist as an ENT cant do much if anything if its acid reflux.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 9:28 am
The ENT did put her on Zantac and Prevacid for reflux. It just didn't help, which seems to mean that the problem is not reflux. However, I do need to take her to a GI doctor for other reasons, so I would ask him about the possibility of reflux and what more we can do for it. It's been 4 months already or her having no voice.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 9:54 am
I would see a GI if it was me. I see one for various problems and they have a wide range of medicine and diet that they can suggest. There are other meds besides what your ENT prescribed.

morahmommy

Post Tue, Sep 13 2011, 10:03 am
My husband had this- exact same symptoms- he was diagnosed with laryngitis reflux by an ent that specializes in voice disorders- his name is Dr. Altman (I don't know where you live), but he's associated with Mt. Sinai hospital. He sees him on an ongoing basis and although he's been on medicine and it does help, right now, they are exploring the possibility that it may be related to sinus issues and allergies as well (reflux came as a result of chronic postnasal drip). Anyway, I highly recommend him and you can PM me for more info if you'd like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics