Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
My really old coffees need a home!

What to do with all my really old coffee - instant, teabag, flavored, and ground?
Bring it to drink at ImaMother meet  
 7%  [ 1 ]
Give to the B.R. teacher's lounge; not everyone is so fussy about what they drink  
 23%  [ 3 ]
Donate it to my shul; when the men shlep themselves to shul so early in the morning, they have no idea what they are drinking!  
 38%  [ 5 ]
Sell on ebay. As if anyone wants it, even though coffee is pretty expensive...  
 7%  [ 1 ]
Other idea, please share it below  
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 9:43 pm
I'm going to bli neder start over with free, gleaned from the office, coffee.

Please help me decide what to do ...........

amother

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 9:49 pm
The coffee at the office is meant for office use. Don't you think it is kind of like stealing to take it home for your personal use? Or did you mean you will just drink coffee at the office from now on? Coffee grounds are THAT expensive - buy your own at the grocery store. Confused

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 9:51 pm
Anonymous Amother, please read my other coffee post - I am going to buy a jar for the office with myown money to make up for it, every so often.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 4:51 am
Did you ask permission from your boss to do that?

Taking something without permission even with the intention of giving it back later is stealing, according to halacha.

supermom

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 8:25 am
This thread is confusing. Sarag the coffee is yours so why is everyone think that the coffee is your offices?

shopaholic

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 9:53 am
If you are going to buy a jar every so often to make up for it, why not just buy a jar for your house instead of taking it home?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 9:57 am
I would love to just keep coffee at home, but it gets stale so quickly! I only drink it once a week maximum so the jar, even in the freezer, becomes undrinkably stale!

Shimmysmom

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 10:05 am
seriously? coffee gets stale? I didnt know that. y don't I taste a difference?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 11:07 am
Shimmysmom, I also didn't notice the taste until just recently.....for example, I had instant coffee packed away for more than 10 years with my Pesach stuff and it always semeed fine to me.

But now, I can tell if chicken and turkey have been frozen, sometimes even by smelling it, not tasting it. And coffee has to be fresh fresh fresh in my book...not just freshly opened, but freshly brewed.

chen

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 11:26 am
Shimmysmom wrote:
seriously? coffee gets stale? I didnt know that. y don't I taste a difference?

you're either not a coffee maven, or your coffee doesn't hang around long enough to get stale. You should be able to smell the difference, though--if it doesn't smell like anything, it won't taste like anything.

It's not like bakery bread--it doesn't get stale in just a couple of days.

ShiraMiri

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 11:35 am
They sell tiny bags of coffee grounds. Why don't you just buy a small bag for your home and replace as needed? Sure, in 10 years coffee will go bad, but coffee can hang around for a few months in its bag/can and still be aromatic and fresh.

cindy324

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 11:47 am
First of all, amother, read SaraG's other coffee thread and yoy'll have all your Q's answered!

Secondly, coffee does go stale. It should be kept in an airtight container, and if not used within 2 weeks, it should be kept in the fridge or the freezer!

Thirdly, Marney is right. You can go into a store like Oh nuts where they sell freshly ground coffee by the pound and buy a small amount at a time.

Shimmysmom

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 12:14 pm
ok, so how do use the ground stuff? and about how long does it take for the instant stuff to get stale?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 1:14 pm
Hm......I never thought of buying just a small amount....

I don't live near an Oh Nuts, though, wonder where else I can go..does ground coffee need a hechsher?

cindy324

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 1:27 pm
Quote:
ok, so how do use the ground stuff?

You brew it in a coffee maker.

Buddy

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 2:57 pm
Sara, going back to your original question. If you used it for a coffee cake or any other recipe that calls for coffee you probably won't be able to tell whether t'was fresh. I have a delicious coffee cake recipe if you're intersted....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics