Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Farfel recipe, please...

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 10:29 am
Can someone do me a huge favor and post the recipe for farfel from the original Heimische Kitchen? We are moving soon, bez"h, and all my cookbooks are packed away....and Rosh Hashana is coming!!

Thanks in advance!!

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 3:00 pm
I guess I'm the only one married long enough to own this cookbook!

Do you mean the homemade farfel? Here you go

3 1/2 - 4 glasses flour(?)
3 whole eggs
pinch salt
few drops water.

Need K-hook attachment on your mixer.

Mix all ing. all at once. If farfel are too small, add drops of water one at a time. If too coarse sprinkle small amounts of flour. At this point you may cook as u usually do.

farfel:

2 tbsp oil
1 small onion
1 cup farfel
salt and pepper tot aste
1-2 sugar dots opt.

Brown onion in oil, stir cont. Add farfel and spices and saute 5 min. , stirring occasionally. Add enough water to cover farfel. cook on low flame, covered for about half hour.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 4:27 pm
I gave mine away before WE moved. I'm married almost 20 years cindy, what about you?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 4:33 pm
My friend makes delicious farfel - I just asked her for the recipe on Monday! Hopefully she'll email it to me soon.

shoy18

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 5:35 pm
I make delcious farfel, you fry onions unitl brown with salt, then add farfel and water, some more salt, garlic and parsley, and boil out all the water if you taste it and its not ready add more water. Its YUM

cindy324

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 7:43 pm
LOL, SaraG, it's almost 13 years for me, but it was my very first cookbook.

I guess I figure the more newly married u are the more you'll buy the more currrent ones, like KBD. LOL

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 4:41 am
Thanks a million, Cindy. Yes, I meant the homemade farfel recipe and it's a good thing I didn't try to make it yesterday from memory. I thought it was 3 eggs and 5 c. flour.

aussiegal

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 4:58 am
are farfel and couscous the same thing?

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 5:30 am
No.

Farfel is an Eastern European food and couscous is North African. Furthermore, couscous doesn't contain eggs, AFAIK, and is also much finer than farfel.

cindy324

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 2:23 pm
you're welcome sarahd!

Chanie

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 3:50 pm
cindy324 wrote:
LOL, SaraG, it's almost 13 years for me, but it was my very first cookbook.

I guess I figure the more newly married u are the more you'll buy the more currrent ones, like KBD. LOL

I'm married 4 1/2 years and I have it (I have the KBD series as well, I like to get all sorts of recipes so I have a very mixed collection of cookbooks...)

florida1

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 2:19 pm
so what are some of the good recipes out there fore farfel?????????????????????????somebody must make it

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 2:51 pm
I have heard that eating farfel on Friday night is a segulah for parnossa and the year I heard that, I made it a lot, especially if we had guests. But since I made kugel too, I made the farfel just plain, with sauteed ionions and maybe garlic and salt and pepper.

Sorry I’m not much help.

cindy324

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 4:36 pm
I do the same thing as SaraG with farfel, except sometimes, like erev shabbos , I use hot soup instead of water to cook it in.

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 19 2006, 4:53 am
If you want it really delicious, and you're not worried about clogging your arteries, then saute onions in chicken schmaltz, brown the farfel in the schmaltz and then add water or chicken soup, salt, pepper, and a touch of sugar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes