Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Sterling Silver Candlabra - 2nd hand

SleepingBeauty

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 6:01 am
I couldn't figure out where to post this -

We'd like to buy a sterling silver candabra, and silver is very high today. I want to get more for my money and am looking to buy either an antique or second hand. I am willing to spend money but it has to be worth it!

Any suggestions where I can look for something like this?

brbs

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 11:17 pm
you didn't mention where you live but I'll tell you my story.

I have beautiful pair of sterling candlesticks tht belonged to my father's grandmother. I love using them every week.

When my dd ws born we were in Isrel for a relative's wedding an my husband and I searched several silver stores in Yerushalyim like hazorfim etc.. I wante 1 small candlestick that had a round base and sat on feet so it looked similar to my antique ones but still different. I found one that I loved and the store agreed to seel us just one because I wanted to get a different but similar one for each child I would have.

Fast forward several years and another baby later. my in laws often go to Israel and one time my mother sked if she could get me anything. I asked for a small silver candlestick that was round and stood on feet. Well apparentlhy this is way out of style now because she had a very very hard itime finding anything..

She found this tiny antique store (I think in meh sharim I'll ask if you'd like) and they had a small pair of candlestick that were perfect.

They did need some work to get them to take the glass neronim cups but now they beutifully grace my tray and I love how my candlesticks are different yet have a matching theme.

In short. Check antique stores. I have also seen some nice ones on ebay if you feel safe enough to spend that kinda money online at ebay.

To give you an idea of what mine are like they are similar to these. notice the round base with feet

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Russi.....d1839 .

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 5:35 am
I would love to know about the antique store in meah shearim if you could find out, Thanks!

Happy 2B

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 6:47 am
I was at a store in Boro park that sells used and new silver. The antique pieces were more expensive not cheaper.

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 6:53 am
What's the name of the BP store and do you know where it's located?

lkwdmommy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:51 am
Makes sense that old candlesticks would be more expensive. They probably weigh much more. I compared my candlesticks which are over 50 years old with the ones I bought for DDIL when she was a kallah, and mine felt at least 3 times heavier. The new ones feel like heavy duty aluminum foil (just a lot pricier LOL )

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 12:43 pm
lkwdmommy wrote:
Makes sense that old candlesticks would be more expensive. They probably weigh much more. I compared my candlesticks which are over 50 years old with the ones I bought for DDIL when she was a kallah, and mine felt at least 3 times heavier. The new ones feel like heavy duty aluminum foil (just a lot pricier LOL )
You get what you pay for. Because of the price of silver, the manufacturers roll the silver thinner and thinner and put heavier and heavier weights in them. If they are damaged, there is practically no way to repair them. But that's because people aren't able/willing to pay the price. Years ago, believe it or not, the also weighted candlesticks with lead in the stems. So heavy doesn't always equal more silver, even from back in the day.
Each candelabra is different.
I think buying a second hand one makes sense, but it will only have lost it's value on new vs. used. The seller knows (or should know) what the price of silver is these days, and you will pay for the weight of the silver at face value. That's why on ebay, for example, the actual weight of the silver is noted. Above the price of the silver, you pay for the craftsmanship and that is where you can save on second hand. Galleries and dealers know what they are doing.
Or, if you find someone desperate you may get a better deal.

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 10:26 am
16th avenue corner of 50th or 49th street not sure the name. It's a interesting store he's usually there at from 6-8 in the evening. I traded in my leichters there.

etziongaver

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 4:44 am
hmmm...I just saw this thread- I don't know if this is relevant for anyone, but I have 2 gorgeous sterling silver 3-branch candelabras that convert to 2 single candelsticks that I am selling for cheap! PM me for details. I am located in Jerusalem (ramat eshkol)

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 11:44 am
lkwdmommy wrote:

They pretty much are nothing more than silver foil. I wondered why the leichter I bought when I got married were so reasonably priced. I couldn't judge them b/c they were weighted. I thought this was good, b/c they'd be more stable. My mom's were unweighted and hollow, quite light and I always feared their tipping over. Mine very soon started distorting, denting and creasing, yes, creasing. The top section started sagging to one side and soon appeared to be in imminent danger of breaking right off. After I had them for maybe ten years, maybe less, I stopped using them. They sit in the cabinet as mute testimony to my ignorance of the fine points of buying silver.

Not long ago I was at a friend's house and saw that her leichter, which are as old as mine but she's still using them, are literally coming apart. They're not lightweight silver that's been weighted for stability, but more like a plaster-and-sand casting sheathed in a molting layer of silver foil. This explains the fragility and low price of my own leichter. they have a nerve calling it weighted silver; if they were honest they'd call it "silver veneer".

If you can't afford quality silver, skip it and get quality brass or some other material.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 12:21 pm
My sister recently told me that she was in a silver store that also buys silver off people, buying some items for her new son-in-law. A woman came in with a nice, heavy old menora and asked him how much he would give her for it.

He told her that the value for the weight is excellent, but he wouldn't make much off it reselling because people don't shop for the weight anymore - if they spend that much they'd rather have something less heavy but larger appearance.

I have heard that prices and quality on Judaica silver items are better in Israel. My DH went to Israel while we were engaged and he bought my candlesticks and his menorah while there - they are a set - matching carving, not that it makes a difference as they are only used together once a year - but it is nice in the China closet. Both are still like new (once polished - my least-favorite job) after 14 years....

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 3:44 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Both are still like new (once polished - my least-favorite job) after 14 years....

I must be misunderstanding--you polished your silver just once in 14 years and it still looks like new? How is this possible?

GetReal

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 3:53 pm
zaq wrote:
Chayalle wrote:
Both are still like new (once polished - my least-favorite job) after 14 years....

I must be misunderstanding--you polished your silver just once in 14 years and it still looks like new? How is this possible?

They are like new, even after 14 years, but they only look that way once they are polished.

Hashemlovesme

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 4:25 pm
I've seen that kind of stuff on......ebay!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains