Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
RH2 Dinner Menu-- tell me what you think please

giyoret1220

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 12:28 pm
This is the first time I will be hosting my in-laws (in addition to 3 other families!), so I am a bit nervous! Do you think this menu sounds okay for second night dinner?

-Challah
-Apples with honey and cinnamon almond dip
-Pomegranate

-Red Lentil Soup
-Spinach salad with pomegranate dressing
-Roasted chicken with apples
-Honey-roasted red potatoes
-Roasted carrots and beets

-Carrot muffins
-Honey cake

ray family

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 12:30 pm
sounds good.
the only thing I would add/change is having another meat or chicken-if possible.
it's nice to have variety in case s/o doesn't like or can't eat something you've made

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 12:31 pm
I would do a lighter soup since lentils are a protein in themselves. carrot and orange soup or butternut squash soup with ginger works well for rosh hashana. or plain old chicken soup.

giyoret1220

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 12:54 pm
Good points, both of you. Thank you!

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 1:36 pm
Menu sounds great, but I would not sub the lentil soup for an orange soup...unless you take out either the carrots or carrot muffins.

BTW, that dip sounds really interesting. Can you please post your recipe?

sped

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 2:10 pm
honey roasted potatoes sounds great too! How do you make them?

giyoret1220

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 2:54 pm
I make the Cinnamon Almond Dip parve due to a lactose intolerant hubby, but the original recipe was dairy. The parve version is a bit more involved since I make the ricotta substitute. I provided both so you can make it whichever way you prefer. My daughter loves this as a special Shabbos snack, too.

Original Dairy Cinnamon Almond Dip:
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp almond butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey
1 tsp milk

Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. If the dip is a little too thick add another teaspoon of milk. Serve with fruit of your choice.

Parve Cinnamon Almond Dip Substitutes:
Substitute 1 cup riccota with either soy or almond "riccota"
Substitute 1 tsp milk with 1 tsp parve soy or almond milk

The Soy Riccota:
25 ounces extra-firm Silken tofu, crumbled
half cup + 2 tablespoons raw cashew pieces, ground very fine in a coffee/spice mill or mini-chopper
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
half teaspoon salt

In a food processor, mix about 3 cups of the crumbled tofu, the ground cashews, the lemon juice and salt until they are VERY smooth. Then crumble in the remaining tofu and process again. The resulting mixture should be mostly smooth, but with a little graininess– it doesn’t have to be like cream cheese. Scoop the “ricotta” into a plastic container and refrigerate. It firms up when chilled. Makes about 3.5 cups.

The Almond Riccota:
1 cup hot water
half cup whole blanched almonds
1 cup cold water
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons of some starch (corn, wheat, white rice flour, potato)
1 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup
half teaspoon salt

Place the hot water and almonds in the blender and blend until a very smooth “cream” results--it cannot be grainy or it will taste weird texture-wise. This can take a while, so do this on a day when you have extra patience (c: Add the rest of the ingredients and blend again well. Pour the mixture into a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir constantly over medium-high heat until it thickens and comes to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and cook 1 minute more, stirring. Scrape the mixture into a container and let it come to room temperature. Beat it with a whisk or electric mixer. Cover and chill. When it is chilled and firm, mash and stir it with a fork, until it has some texture. Refrigerate.

goodenoughmom

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 3:00 pm
Just regarding the almond dip - I seem to remember that there is a minhag not to eat nuts on Rosh Hashana because of something relating the gematria of egoz, nut, to the gematria chet (spelled without the aleph) - sin. You might want to make sure this isn't your minhag.

giyoret1220

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 3:12 pm
Honey Roasted Potatoes
For 2-3 servings:

1 lb red potatoes, cut in 1 inch chunks
2 tablespoons diced onion
4 tablespoons "butter"*, melted
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons dry mustard
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking dish (for softer potatoes) or cookie sheet (for crisper potatoes) with nonstick cooking spray. The dish or sheet should be big enough so that the potatoes form a single layer. Place potatoes in dish, and top with onion. In a small bowl, combine melted "butter", honey, mustard, salt and pepper; drizzle over potatoes and onion. Mix thoroughly to coat all potatoes. Bake for 40 or so minutes until tender, stirring a few times during cooking.

I usually double or triple when company is coming over.

*Margarine or olive oil is what we use.

giyoret1220

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 3:27 pm
goodenoughmom wrote:
Just regarding the almond dip - I seem to remember that there is a minhag not to eat nuts on Rosh Hashana because of something relating the gematria of egoz, nut, to the gematria chet (spelled without the aleph) - sin. You might want to make sure this isn't your minhag.

It is not ours, but THANK YOU for reminding me of that minhag because it may be our guests' (one is a family I don't know so well yet!). Off the list.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 4:17 pm
giyoret1220 wrote:
I make the Cinnamon Almond Dip parve due to a lactose intolerant hubby, but the original recipe was dairy. The parve version is a bit more involved since I make the ricotta substitute. I provided both so you can make it whichever way you prefer. My daughter loves this as a special Shabbos snack, too.

Original Dairy Cinnamon Almond Dip:
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 tbsp almond butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey
1 tsp milk

Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. If the dip is a little too thick add another teaspoon of milk. Serve with fruit of your choice.

Parve Cinnamon Almond Dip Substitutes:
Substitute 1 cup riccota with either soy or almond "riccota"
Substitute 1 tsp milk with 1 tsp parve soy or almond milk

The Soy Riccota:
25 ounces extra-firm Silken tofu, crumbled
half cup + 2 tablespoons raw cashew pieces, ground very fine in a coffee/spice mill or mini-chopper
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
half teaspoon salt

In a food processor, mix about 3 cups of the crumbled tofu, the ground cashews, the lemon juice and salt until they are VERY smooth. Then crumble in the remaining tofu and process again. The resulting mixture should be mostly smooth, but with a little graininess– it doesn’t have to be like cream cheese. Scoop the “ricotta” into a plastic container and refrigerate. It firms up when chilled. Makes about 3.5 cups.

The Almond Riccota:
1 cup hot water
half cup whole blanched almonds
1 cup cold water
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons of some starch (corn, wheat, white rice flour, potato)
1 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup
half teaspoon salt

Place the hot water and almonds in the blender and blend until a very smooth “cream” results--it cannot be grainy or it will taste weird texture-wise. This can take a while, so do this on a day when you have extra patience (c: Add the rest of the ingredients and blend again well. Pour the mixture into a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir constantly over medium-high heat until it thickens and comes to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and cook 1 minute more, stirring. Scrape the mixture into a container and let it come to room temperature. Beat it with a whisk or electric mixer. Cover and chill. When it is chilled and firm, mash and stir it with a fork, until it has some texture. Refrigerate.

THanks for typing this all up! I'm just confused about one thing: What is the almond ricotta? Is that a separate dip? Or did you mean almond butter? Can I use blanched sliced almonds?

giyoret1220

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 5:27 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:

THanks for typing this all up! I'm just confused about one thing: What is the almond ricotta? Is that a separate dip? Or did you mean almond butter? Can I use blanched sliced almonds?

Sorry if that was confusing. Both the soy AND the almond riccota can work as stand alone dips/spreads, or for use in other dishes. I use the soy riccota for some savory dishes like a parve lasagna. My husband likes the almond riccota with fruit for breakfast.

But, in the context of this almond cinnamon dip, I mix either one of them with almond butter (and the other ingredients) so my husband can enjoy it. I have a good friend that can't have soy products, so I usually make this with almond just to be safe.

Dairy Option: normal riccota + almond butter
Parve Option 1: soy riccota + almond butter
Parve Option 2: almond riccota + almond butter

Hopefully that helps clear it up. And while I've never made this with sliced almonds, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 5:57 pm
I think refraining from nuts is a widely observed minhag. BUT, it's applicable to egoz (walnuts, hazelnuts) while almonds are shkadim, whose gematria doesn't go anywhere near chet.

Aside from that, you seem to have lots of roasted items--chicken, potato, carrrots/beets. I would keep chicken but maybe substitute roasted potato with another type of starch, or serve different vegetables instead of roasted carrots/beets. You already have honey dip and honey cake, so honey roasted potato maybe honey overkill? Also are you serving carrot muffin as dessert? Colour/texture may resemble to honey cake so maybe another area of duplicate?

They individually sound really yum. Please don't take an offense if I sound negative, just meant as a constructive criticism.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 6:04 pm
some sort of apple pie or crumble is always a good rh dessert. Serve warm with ice cream if possible.

giyoret1220

Post Mon, Sep 19 2011, 6:41 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I think refraining from nuts is a widely observed minhag. BUT, it's applicable to egoz (walnuts, hazelnuts) while almonds are shkadim, whose gematria doesn't go anywhere near chet.

Aside from that, you seem to have lots of roasted items--chicken, potato, carrrots/beets. I would keep chicken but maybe substitute roasted potato with another type of starch, or serve different vegetables instead of roasted carrots/beets. You already have honey dip and honey cake, so honey roasted potato maybe honey overkill? Also are you serving carrot muffin as dessert? Colour/texture may resemble to honey cake so maybe another area of duplicate?

They individually sound really yum. Please don't take an offense if I sound negative, just meant as a constructive criticism.

Constructive comments--even if they are criticisms--are always welcome. I wanted to toss ideas around and you've helped me do that. Thank you.

sped

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 1:10 am
Thanks! This sounds yummy! Can I make it ahead and heat it up on the stove/hot plate on Yom Tov?

giyoret1220 wrote:
Honey Roasted Potatoes
For 2-3 servings:

1 lb red potatoes, cut in 1 inch chunks
2 tablespoons diced onion
4 tablespoons "butter"*, melted
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons dry mustard
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking dish (for softer potatoes) or cookie sheet (for crisper potatoes) with nonstick cooking spray. The dish or sheet should be big enough so that the potatoes form a single layer. Place potatoes in dish, and top with onion. In a small bowl, combine melted "butter", honey, mustard, salt and pepper; drizzle over potatoes and onion. Mix thoroughly to coat all potatoes. Bake for 40 or so minutes until tender, stirring a few times during cooking.

I usually double or triple when company is coming over.

*Margarine or olive oil is what we use.

giyoret1220

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 2:17 am
sped wrote:
Thanks! This sounds yummy! Can I make it ahead and heat it up on the stove/hot plate on Yom Tov?

I don't know how well they freeze; I've only cooked them the night before, put in the fridge overnight, and heated on the stove with no problems. I don't think they are as crisp that way, but the flavors are stronger I believe and my guests and family really enjoyed the dish.

lilacdreams

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 2:23 am
OP yum! All that sounds wonderful! can I come, please? Smile

Tiale

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 7:47 am
I think it sounds delicious! I do think the suggestions ppl made are very good tho. If you want another dish instead you could do steamed asparagus or a fresh salad if you wanna lighten things up. I personally love the idea of warm apple crumble with ice cream so if you make extras... Wink I love the ideas for ricotta as I'm sensitive to lactose. Tnx for writing them out!

racz

Post Thu, Sep 22 2011, 12:14 pm
can you post the pomgrante dressing recipe?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus