Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Explaining Dinosaurs to Kids
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 7:19 am
Wish I had heard him speak! I agree with poeman, lucky you Dr.Mom.

Ff, your dh, my dh and I are in agreement.

Tova

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 7:49 am
hadasa wrote:
It's suprising that a self-proclaimed Lubavitcher can adhere to a belief against which the Rebbe wrote so strongly. The Lubavitcher Rebbe's opinion is that the claim that Sheishes Yemei Bereishis was anything other than six twenty-four-hour periods undermines a. The meaning of Shabbos as witness to G-d's creation, and b. The validity of all Gittin ever issued and dated x years from Brias Haolam. Your husband may self-identify as a Lubavitcher, but that doesn't mean his beliefs are compatible with the Rebbe's philosophy.

Interesting. How does the Rebbe deal with the dating/aging of the universe questions then?

Tova

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 7:54 am
BTW, did anyone bring up Gerald Shroeder here and Einstien's relativity of time approach? These questions have all been dealt with on a scientific approach. What I disagreed with on Slifkin (as mentioned, I heard him speak years before he was controversial) was he posited that the Sheshem Yemei Bereishis are allegorical and the order in the Torah does not mean the strict order that things were created. This is based on the fossil records and the levels of the earth that various plantation and creatures are found in. This I reject - I believe it is dangerous once you dismiss the p'shat of the mikra. But within the mikra, to say that a day was longer than a 24 hour period (especially prior to the creation of the sun) I accept. I also accept the theory of relativity of time. I accept all these as POSSIBILITIES, not as absolute truth. I accept the Torah as absolute truth.

Tova

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 7:56 am
hadasa - I'm just thinking about this some more. We date brias haolam from the creation of Adam. IE - day 6 (we actually consider that year 1, unlike when we say a child is zero at birth and turns 1 after 12 months). So the theories that the first couple of days of brias haolam were longer than 24 hours would not really affect the dating of brias haolam how written on a get, etc.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 8:05 am
I didn't realize so many imamothers believe in a young earth. That's interesting.

farm

Post Wed, Sep 28 2011, 2:21 pm
Seraph, I think you are overthinking this. So your son watches Magic School Bus and they talk about dinosaurs being over a million years old. He doesn't know what that means. He doesn't know that using sheishes yimei beraishis brings us to 5772 now and that is less than a million. By the time he realizes that, he will be able to undertand all of the other explanations that have been mentioned in this thread. I have a feeling you have brought up with him the concept of thinking for himself and not automatically believing everything people telling or taking things at face value (hence I am surprised at how quickly you will refuse to read a book that is banned by Chareidim- did you read it yourself and come to that conclusion, or have you never picked it up?), so I really think you can let this go.

hadasa

Post Sat, Oct 01 2011, 3:43 pm
Tova wrote:
hadasa wrote:
It's suprising that a self-proclaimed Lubavitcher can adhere to a belief against which the Rebbe wrote so strongly. The Lubavitcher Rebbe's opinion is that the claim that Sheishes Yemei Bereishis was anything other than six twenty-four-hour periods undermines a. The meaning of Shabbos as witness to G-d's creation, and b. The validity of all Gittin ever issued and dated x years from Brias Haolam. Your husband may self-identify as a Lubavitcher, but that doesn't mean his beliefs are compatible with the Rebbe's philosophy.

Interesting. How does the Rebbe deal with the dating/aging of the universe questions then?
Click here
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics