Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone's baby have macrocephaly (large head)? What was it?!

amother
White

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:08 pm
Pediatrician just sent us for a head ultrasound because baby's head circumference has been growing too quickly. We've been eyeing it for a while already, but it wasn't going dramatically fast so until now we took a wait-and-see approach. She just neared the mark of where dr said he'd get concerned.

Quite nervous... hopefully it will turn out to be nothing but a scare, but if you've been through this yourself can you tell me a little about it? What should I expect from a baby head ultrasound visit? DD is not one for holding still much... Confused

Last edited by amother on Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:10 pm
I will say that my next door neighbor's child had it and went for all the tests and got nervous. IYH it will be like them, because it turned out to be nothing, just a big headed girl taht she eventually grew into.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:26 pm
Half of my sisters kids were sent for testing due to large head size. BH they were all ok (actually more than ok!), they just have big heads. I think the majority of cases turn out to be just that, but they want to rule out anything else.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:30 pm
My baby has the opposite- microcephaly Sad

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 4:43 pm
I'm the last amother. My baby had an mri- dont know anythinng about ultrasounds.

amother
White

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 9:46 am
Thanks for the reassurances. Amother, I hope your baby is OK! Let's pray for each other...

I am not researching online because there is too much scary stuff that probably won't be relevant IY"H. Just hanging on until tomorrow and hugging my baby to pieces!

Last edited by amother on Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

momto1

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 9:54 am
My baby had it - I went for an ultrasound and it turned out to be nothing. Just a big head with lots of brains in it:)
The ultrasound took approximately ten minutes I think. Definitely took some strength to try to hold him down! They don't need them to be totally still so that helped.
Hope it turns out to be just a scare!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 10:21 am
My baby also had it. she was a premiee and wasnt making the charts in anything except her head size! B'H it was just a large head, and now while her head still tops the charts, the rest of her body is catching up quickly.

IYH it will turn into nothing and you have a perfectly healthy baby!

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 7:24 pm
So far so good BH. Sonographer didn't see any extra fluid in her brain. Checking results with dr tomorrow. Don't know if they'll bother with any more tests after this at this point since B"H she doesn't have any other symptoms - when I look online the causes for macrocephaly are all these terrible disorders but they'd have developmental effects as well, and B"H dd is developmentally doing beautifully. So hopefully this is just a little kid with a big head.

But I still want to slap the next person who tells me "Wow, what a big head, she must be a real genius!"

Last edited by amother on Tue, Oct 30 2018, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 7:40 pm
Don't slap me, but there have actually been studies done that correlate head size with IQ! Tongue Out

amother
White

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 7:47 pm
I'm pretty up on research and I thought I'd read that generally this isn't the case. Up to a point, people with smaller-than-average heads might be more limited, but the evidence doesn't seem to show that people with above-average head size are smarter or more successful, or that smart, successful people are the ones with bigger heads.

tzarich iyun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics