Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Friend's ds wakes up shaking at night

hadasa

Post Tue, Oct 11 2011, 7:38 pm
My friend's four-year-old son has been waking up every night this past week at about the same time, shaking as if with cold and seeming disoriented and lacking coordination. Each episode lasts 2-10 minutes, after which he goes back to sleep and wakes up in the morning perfectly normal. She is very worried. They have been to a neurologist, but she didn't say much or even do any testing besides for reflexes. Of course they will continue to pursue a diagnosis, but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced something similar? I know about night terrors, but this doesn't sound like them.

grin

Post Thu, Oct 13 2011, 5:06 pm
it does sounds like the night terrors that I went through with dd. is there s/thing going on in his life now?

PROUDPEACOCK

Post Sat, Oct 15 2011, 11:42 pm
nothing to worry about. Every pediatrician should know that it has all the symptoms of night terror. let her Google it and she will see that it happens at the same time every night, because it happens when the brain goes into a certain level of sleep. I went through with my daughter. It was pretty scary. Her whole body was shaking and she wasn't talking and didn't remember a thing in the morning.

hadasa

Post Mon, Oct 17 2011, 3:46 am
Oy, now I'm so confused. She went to a doctor who said it's night seizures and prescribed anti-epileptic medication for the next two years. But since I don't really trust the doctors in this country, you now have me wondering if he isn't getting totally unnecessary strong medication. Could anyone give some information on how to differentiate night terrors from seizures?
If there's any reasonable doubt about the diagnosis I'd suggest they go to Israel to get another opinion, but since they don't have extra money at the moment I'd only advise that if really necessary. WDYT?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics