Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Pumping on yom kippur

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 2:11 pm
I feed my baby my milk and formula the question is that am I allowed to pump my milk on yom kippur and give it to him. most of his bottles are my milk maybe two or three through out the whole day is formula does anyone know if it is allowed or not?

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 2:56 pm
probably have to ask you LOR. from what I've read, it's not allowed. but I do know someone who get a heter to put her pump on a timer and use it. but others say pumping in general, whether electric, or manual, is a problem.

Tovah

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 2:58 pm
sorry if I may ask but why do u need to pump?

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 4:04 pm
nothing to be sorry about I am not nursing since my baby doesn't want to I was having a problem with the nursing so instead I pump for him. not with an electric one but a manual one.

Tovah

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 4:39 pm
that's right I read that. but maybe u can pump the day before some extra?

lucky

Post Wed, Oct 12 2005, 12:13 am
In Seagate I was told that a woman can pump if she is engorged but she cannot save the milk.

lucky

Post Wed, Oct 12 2005, 12:13 am
In Seagate I was told that a woman can pump if she is engorged but she cannot save the milk.

sorry,double post.

Last edited by lucky on Sat, Oct 15 2005, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

supermom

Post Wed, Oct 12 2005, 3:41 am
just came off the phone with my rav and he said I have to do it before. oh well I hope and pray I won't be uncomfortably engorged.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Oct 22 2005, 9:10 pm
hope it went well. Btw, if he doesn't "want" to nurse, maybe consider seeing a lactation consultant? it is difficult to keep up the nursing by pumping only

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 10:20 am
My Rav told me I could pump as long as I make sure to use it the same day. (I guess he figures it's kind of like "bishul" on yom tov...?)

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 11:11 am
You really shouldn't post such things, especially as it can be a torah prohibition every time you pump.

It is dependant on the circumstances and there are instances where it is allowed depending on why the mother is pumping and how the pumping is done.
Anyone who needs to pump on Shabbos or Yom Tov should consult a rav. An automatic electric pump on a Shabbos-clock is often preferable to a hand pump.

BTW, YK halachos as far as bishul goes are like Shabbos and not like YT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur