Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Kid friendly veggies

imab

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 4:40 pm
Dear All,
I think I need to boost my kids veggie intake. I live in Israel and regularly served veggies at our table are peas, beets, cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, sliced peppers, cut up carrots, mashed potatoes (not even sure if that counts as a veggie or a carb), olives. Not all of those are eaten by all. One girl basically only eats cucumbers! Mashed potatoes are always a hit, peas usually.

I feel like I just don't have ideas. Would love to hear what other veggies people serve and their kids eat.

Hashemlovesme

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 4:49 pm
PSA!!!
PLEASE DO NOT serve children under 4 years old carrot sticks (or apples w/ peels)!! My dd choked on a carrot sick & needed to be taken to the hospital. She had a piece stuck in each bronchial tube. (btw, she can chew very well, but she saw something she wanted & started crying for it while eating) My dh got a real yelling at from the Dr.s & this is what he was told.

shoemaker

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 5:04 pm
how about corn,brocoli ,califlower, beets,

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 6:03 pm
Just go to the store and see what there is. Kids can amaze you what they might eat. My kids always said they didn't like avocado until they tasted it like a guacamole and they loved it. They also love broccoli plain or in a salad, or kugel. My sister makes every shabbos a do it yourself salad. She puts all the vegetables in separate bowls and each person can make their own. I do that for supper sometimes with hard boiled eggs, tuna, croutons, etc...

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 6:07 pm
Squash. Sweet potatoes (really a carb, but more nutritious than potatoes). Green beans. Zucchini.

You could also try some root vegetables, like turnips and parsnips, if you think your kids might go for them.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 7:29 pm
Buy one of each veggie in the store, shred them in the food processor, and make soup! My toddler is very picky about fruits and veggies, but she loves shredded vegetable soup!

momatwork

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 7:40 pm
Try corn on the cob, kids enjoy biting it oround

wispalover

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 9:56 pm
DS loves roasted vegetables, like roast cauliflower, roast broccoli, roast mushrooms, the tiny little petite baby carrots, cucumber

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 10:15 pm
garlic sesame green beans are a big kiddie hit here

veggie sticks

leafy salad seasoned with lemon, oil, garlic, and salt

garlic roasted veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, whole mushrooms, baby carrots, red onion - the mushrooms, baby carrots and onion chunks get picked out and eaten easily)

colorful vegetable fries (beets, sweet potato and parsnip - beets and sweet potato get eaten easily)

Simple1

Post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 10:38 pm
Kids like broccoli or cauliflower when you cook or bake it with cheese.

Or you can dress broccoli or cauliflower with lemon, oil and salt to give it more flavor.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 9:36 am
any veggie can be kid friendly. try buying one new veggie a week. you can look up instructions for preparation if it needs cooking, or serve raw. make a rule that each child must try one bite of the new veggie of the week. they have to chew, but if they really dislike it after chewing they can spit it out. my kids taste things because they know I won't make them swallow if they detest the food. b'h my kids have become pretty good veggie eaters.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 2:35 pm
I make a chopped salad like israeli salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, pickles) and even add black beans and corn and a slightly sweet vinaigrette. They don't notice all the diff. veggies when they're tiny and mixed together.

Also, you can shred lots of veggies and make a veggie kugel in muffin tins.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 2:56 pm
My kids love cooked broccoli. They eet it like popcorn. Breaded califlower, green beans, sweet potatoe fries, cut up slices of peppers, lettuce, grape tomatoes.......all those go too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics