Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Crib mattress life span -?? source please

amother

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 6:47 pm
I have been using the same crib mattress for all of my kids and I must say it's pretty old.
some time ago someone posted on imamother that they have to be thrown out every 2 years because they break down and is not healthy for the baby.

I've been searching the web and can't find anything about this and my husband is challenging this notion and laughing it off.

I'd like to know what the basis for this is, who says it? where is it written etc?
I want to keep my kids healthy, but I don't want to throw out money for no reason as it still is pretty solid and in otherwise good condition. So if someone could give me some sources I'd really appreciate it

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
I have been using the same crib mattress for all of my kids and I must say it's pretty old.
some time ago someone posted on imamother that they have to be thrown out every 2 years because they break down and is not healthy for the baby.

I've been searching the web and can't find anything about this and my husband is challenging this notion and laughing it off.

I'd like to know what the basis for this is, who says it? where is it written etc?
I want to keep my kids healthy, but I don't want to throw out money for no reason as it still is pretty solid and in otherwise good condition. So if someone could give me some sources I'd really appreciate it

wow. that's a ridiculous statement. my daughter is turning 4 and has been using the same mattress until now. we used the same one for crib and toddler bed. many crib mattresses come with 10 - 30 yr warranties. I don't think they wear after just two.

if you're talking about the link between SIDS and crib mattresses, those who are worried can purchase special mattress covers. frankly, I'm convinced that the majority of the hysteria over SIDS is a marketing ploy. there are ridiculous items out there for ridiculous prices that take advantage of neurotic parents. if you think your mattress is still good, use it with good conscience. we throw out too many usable items these days.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 9:21 pm
my husband has the same response as you, mummiedearest but I'd actually like to look into it a bit more before I dismiss it. I got annoyed with him for dismissing it off hand without actually investigating it.

also our mattress is close to 16 years old

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
my husband has the same response as you, mummiedearest but I'd actually like to look into it a bit more before I dismiss it. I got annoyed with him for dismissing it off hand without actually investigating it.

also our mattress is close to 16 years old

google SIDS and crib mattresses. there are a number of articles out there. as I said, if you're worried, you can get special mattress covers (I believe they zip all around, not elasticized like a sheet). the cost of the cover may be more than a new mattress, but my point is that there is no absolute necessity to get rid of the mattress. btw, I don't think this theory is time dependent, the problem is supposedly with all standard mattresses.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 10:18 pm
I don't remember the concern being about sids,
I think what was said was that it breaks down and the baby breaths it in and it's carcinogenic.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 25 2011, 11:59 pm
amother wrote:
I think what was said was that it breaks down and the baby breaths it in and it's carcinogenic.

never heard the carcinogenic issue. the SIDS scare is based on fumes inhaled. the purpose in the cover is to contain the fumes somehow.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 12:04 am
mummiedearest wrote:
amother wrote:

never heard the carcinogenic issue. the SIDS scare is based on fumes inhaled. the purpose in the cover is to contain the fumes somehow.
then we are discussing 2 different things.

does anyone else remember when this topic came up and is able to provide more information?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics