Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Night time mommy-ing

cinnamon

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 5:24 am
I didn't want to highjack the other thread so I'm starting a new one.

My 4 y.o wakes up 4-5-6 times a night. she doesn't ask sleep in my bed (thank g-d) but she needs me to walk her back to her room and tuck her in. doing this 5 times a night plus waking up to nurse my baby does not leave me a lot of actual sleeping time...

I really had no idea what can be done about it and was counting my blessings that at least she doesn't ask to sleep in my bed (she asked a couple of times and got a defanite no and stoped asking)

Now this seems like a very good idea that really might work:

brbs wrote:
Pennies!

This really works!

When u put ur kids to bed give them 3 pennies. Everytime they get out of bed they have to give you one. Whatever they have in the morning are theirs to keep. They can just save them or them can "buy" prizes with them. The reason this works is the kids maintain a sense of control they can still get out of bed but they want to hold on to those coins.

This may be too much for ur little one but ur older one should be just the right age.

I gave this advise to my dd daycare provider whose 7 year old was still coming in her bed every night. She had to use quarters instead of pennies but within 2 weeks he completely stopped getting up at night. She said it was the best 75 cents she ever spent.

The thing is I am a little conflicted about this, I feel like she needs me at night and again its not like she is sleeping in my bed...
What do you think, is it mean to try and get her to not come to me at night or is it good parenting to teach her to go back to sleep on her own?

in general how available should mommy be at 2 or 3 or 4 am?

mltjm

Post Wed, Oct 26 2011, 10:46 pm
I don't think it's mean. You need to be a functioning mommy too, and you deserve to get a good night's sleep, at least in reference to the 4 y.o., who is developmentally capable of understanding 'we don't get out of bed until the clock says 7' (or it's light outside, or whatever), and also perfectly capable of sleeping through the night.

I would try it. It might be a miserable failure, but at least you tried. Did you every try anything else? Like one of those clocks that changes from a red light to a green light at a certain time, or giving her a flashlight and leaving a drink of water next to her bed? Is she getting up to use the bathroom?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 30 2011, 11:27 pm
mltjm wrote:
I don't think it's mean. You need to be a functioning mommy too, and you deserve to get a good night's sleep, at least in reference to the 4 y.o., who is developmentally capable of understanding 'we don't get out of bed until the clock says 7' (or it's light outside, or whatever), and also perfectly capable of sleeping through the night.I would try it. It might be a miserable failure, but at least you tried. Did you every try anything else? Like one of those clocks that changes from a red light to a green light at a certain time, or giving her a flashlight and leaving a drink of water next to her bed? Is she getting up to use the bathroom?

I'm sorry but I dont agree with the bolded at all. As the mother of a very intelligent 5 year old I must say that she needs security most when she's afraid at night especially since she is so smart & aware of everything that goes on & has an incredible imagination. Also I dont think 4-5 yr olds know how to tell time & MOST kids that age do not understand that morning starts at 7 am or whatever. And no, some 4-5 year old arent PERFECTLY CAPABLE of sleeping throught the night.

I did hear of a wonderful idea that has worked for many. Connect a lamp in your kids room with the Shabbos clock & set it that it should go on at 7 or whenever you think its OK for him/her to get up & tell the kid that as long as its off they stay in bed cuz its still night & when its on it means MORNINGS HERE!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers