Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken Lo mein

shopaholic

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 9:42 am
Anyone have a good recipe? There was an ad in the Readers Digest that mede me in th mood for it. But, I've never done it before so I need a recipe, or a basic idea of the ingredients involved.

Thanks.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 11:34 am
Ok. I found a recipe for Chicken Chow mein which sounds good to me:

2T & 3/4t margarine
1/4c & 2t chopped mushrroms
1c & 2T chopped celery
1-1/8 onions, chopped
1/8t garlic powder
1-1/3c & 2T chicken broth
15oz can of baby corn
1/4c & 2t green beans
1-1/4t soy sauce
1T & 1/2t cornstarch
3T & 1/4 t cold water
1-2/3c & 1T cooked chicken cbued (I'm going to do strips)

I a wok or skillet, melt margarine over medium heat. Add mushrooms, clelery, onions & garlic powder. Cook until onions have wilted. Add chicken broth & baby corn. Continue to cook until celery is cooked but still crisp. Stir in green beans & soy sauce.

Mix the cornstarch & water in a small bowl. Slowly stir into vegetables. Sauce should start to thicken a little. Mix in chicken & heat through.

I'm going to mix in cooked spaghetti too. they say to serve it over rice or crispy noodles.The reason the amounts for everything are weird is because the recipe was made for 7 servings & I changed the settings online to make it for 4.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:55 pm
My basic lo-mein recipe:

Veggies:
carrots, onions, broccoli (can be frozen), cabbage, baby corn, peas, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts. I like to juliene the carrots into thin matchsticks, slice the onions into thin strips, shred the cabbage, cut the baby corn into thirds and cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces.

Chicken breast (either baked in the oven, or cut into bite-sized pieces and sauteed in a wok or frying pan).

Soy sauce, oil, minced garlic, black pepper.

Cooked spaghetti.

Basically once all the chicken is cooked, you toss everything together, although you leave the bean sprouts for last so they retain some crunch. Use the seasoning as you like it, although I wouldn't add salt, since soy sauce tends to be salty enough.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:58 pm
That sounds similar. I'll probably do yours.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:59 pm
Momof3, if you ever need a recipe, I post on many different boards and would be happy to ask for you.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 12:59 pm
Quote:
bamboo shoots, water chestnuts

I've seen recipes with these before but never know where to find them. Where do you buy things like this and what do they look like?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 1:03 pm
They come in cans, and you can generally find them in the Kosher section and in the section that has soy sauce.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 1:07 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
They come in cans, and you can generally find them in the Kosher section and in the section that has soy sauce.

Thanks so much! I had no idea... assumed they were fresh vegetables of some sort...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey