Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Word retrieval

amother

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 9:47 pm
My 6 year old daughter has a word retrieval problem, im the only one and dh that notices, like for leben, she would say brown yogourt, rice,farfel etc.. is all called macaroni by her, She would also forget any random word and say, how do you say that, I always forget. Any ideas what to do, how to help her.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 10:07 pm
you can get her speech therapy. interesting how you picked up on the term word retrieval. do games with her like "let's list things that you find in an ocean" and take turns listing things, or "things you might find in a grocery".

if you do get her speech therapy, make sure the therapist knows how to address this issue and she is not causing your child to feel pressured to come up with the word, which could cause stuttering ch'v.

there is also a book called Listening and Learning by Linda Maoed Bell, not sure of author's name spelling, but that book is supposed to train pple on how to think differently so they process differently

amother

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 10:07 pm
you can get her speech therapy. interesting how you picked up on the term word retrieval. do games with her like "let's list things that you find in an ocean" and take turns listing things, or "things you might find in a grocery".

if you do get her speech therapy, make sure the therapist knows how to address this issue and she is not causing your child to feel pressured to come up with the word, which could cause stuttering ch'v.

there is also a book called Listening and Learning by Linda Maoed Bell, not sure of author's name spelling, but that book is supposed to train pple on how to think differently so they process differently

amother

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 10:19 pm
op here. Thank you for your help, I'll definitely look into the book, and naming things I do with her every day. thank you

runninglate

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 10:21 pm
I never heard about this book, but I think its linda mood bell.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 11:19 pm
I cant find the book, your sure thats the title of the book?

Barbara

Post Tue, Nov 08 2011, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:
I cant find the book, your sure thats the title of the book?

Lindamood-Bell is a system for teaching reading and other skills.

http://www.lindamoodbell.com/

I would first suggest that you have your child evaluated, to see if your diagnosis is accurate. Also, Word Retrieval issues are very real, but they often co-exist with other deficits.

I quickly found one article for you, that wasn't trying to sell anything:

http://www.speechtherapyct.com.....e.pdf

amother

Post Wed, Nov 09 2011, 2:56 am
I was the second poster, I believe the book is visualizing and verbalizing, it was a couple of yrs ago that I heard of the book

amother

Post Wed, Nov 09 2011, 2:42 pm
thank you for the article, thats exactly what my daughter has, so first she has to get diagnosed professionally, then I hope theyll be able to help her in this town. thank you again Barbra
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children