Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD completey off the charts

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:02 am
Our DD is seven months old. We were noticing that she is smaller than other children her age, but we thought she was just petite. As she's getting older, she was staying the same size. It was only recently that I started worrying bout it.

I took her to the doc last week, and she didn't seem worried at all. She didn't even weigh her. I wasn't happy with that. I took her to be weighed and she only weighs 10.5 lbs(!) and is 2 feet long.

I called another Doctor. His reply was "Completely not normal."

I went to 2 other doctors since Monday. DD is not growing properly. She is completely off the charts. She is in size 3 month clothes.

I'm just so nervous. We have to start with bloodwork to see what the cause is. There are many possibilites- insufficient hormones, coeliac disease, and other things which I don't even know. Doc doesn't think she has any delays.
I'm sooooo worried. I wish I knew what the problem was NOW. I want to fix the problem. I want her to grow normally.

I don't know what I came on here for, maybe to vent, maybe to see if anyone has experience with this.
Thanks for listening.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:16 am
My daughter is exactly the same. She only doubled her birthweight at about 9 monthes. She's now 19 monthes old and she weighs just about 20 lbs and is 29 inches tall.
How is ur daughters head growth? Mine hasn't changed in monthes and thats the bigger problem.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:53 am
Are you nursing?
I had t his with one of my kids. The doctor told me to stop nursing cold turkey.. If you don't want to do that, then at least test the quality of your milk. You can "have enough" but still not be providing the nutrients to your baby.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:01 pm
How much did she weigh at birth?

My DD was a 5 pounder at birth. At a year she weighed 15 pounds, which was normal for her birth weight. She was (and still is) very petite, but she consistently grew at her own pace.

However, if your DD's growth is stagnating, I would be worried. It's not a matter of comparing her to other babies, but you have to compare her to herself and see if she is thriving. If she is not, then you want to know why.

Hatzlacha.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Are you nursing?
I had t his with one of my kids. The doctor told me to stop nursing cold turkey.. If you don't want to do that, then at least test the quality of your milk. You can "have enough" but still not be providing the nutrients to your baby.

Or a lazy sucker - if a baby does not, for some reason, draw down enough milk, then the milk quantity gets less and less........either supplements are necessary or quantity must increase.

My sister had 3 fat babies, and then her 4th was not gaining enough weight because he wasn't sucking properly. She had to supplement while increasing her milk supply with pumping, to make quantity come down more easily in order that her baby gain enough weight by increasing his intake.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:33 pm
OP, here.

First amother- Do you know what your daughter has? Did you figure it out? I'm not quite sure what DD's head growth is.

Second amother- Yes, I am nursing and formula feeding. And she eats solids at every feeding.

Chayalle- She weighed 7 lbs at birth. The doctors, obviously, did not compare her to other babies, only I did in my previous post. She has gone from 25 percentile to off the charts, so this is not normal for her. She only gained 5 oz in 5 months!

Thanks for all the replies!

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:43 pm
we had that with my daughter- she didn't double her birth weight till after her first birthday. (in comparison, my son who was born the same amount as her doubled by 5 months) she has reflux, and wasn't ingesting enough calories so we switched her to higher calorie formula.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:53 pm
1st amother here- she has microcephaly- due to her head not growing- its 17 inches at 19 monthes. One of the symptoms of microcephaly is failure to thrive.

I have NO ideas what is causing this. We are doing lots of bloodwork for metabolic and genetic diseases but so far nothing has come up.

She was also born at 7 lbs. At her 6 week checkup she weighed 8 and half lbs and she's had very slow growth since then.

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
Our DD is seven months old. We were noticing that she is smaller than other children her age, but we thought she was just petite. As she's getting older, she was staying the same size. It was only recently that I started worrying bout it.

I took her to the doc last week, and she didn't seem worried at all. She didn't even weigh her. I wasn't happy with that. I took her to be weighed and she only weighs 10.5 lbs(!) and is 2 feet long.

I called another Doctor. His reply was "Completely not normal."

I went to 2 other doctors since Monday. DD is not growing properly. She is completely off the charts. She is in size 3 month clothes.

I'm just so nervous. We have to start with bloodwork to see what the cause is. There are many possibilites- insufficient hormones, coeliac disease, and other things which I don't even know. Doc doesn't think she has any delays.
I'm sooooo worried. I wish I knew what the problem was NOW. I want to fix the problem. I want her to grow normally.

I don't know what I came on here for, maybe to vent, maybe to see if anyone has experience with this.
Thanks for listening.

No experience. Just sending hugs and prayers.

In a later post, you mention that she's nursing, drinking formula and eating solids. Unless she's actively pursuing the solids, I'd kill them and concentrate on the milk, which is her major source of nutrition at this point.

While you're waiting for the tests, can you also give a call to La Leche League? They may be able to help you evaluate her suck and give you other suggestions, in case the problem is there.

Also, extrapolating from your comments, it sounds like she gained decently in the first couple of months, the slowed substantially in the next 5. Can you think of anything that you did differently, or different at home, during those periods? Any chance that's when you introduced formula, or changed the type of formula or bottle that you use?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 1:12 pm
Good luck, first amother. Hugs.

Thanks Barbara. That's a great idea! I can't seem to think of anything that I'm doing differently now... I'll keep thinking about it though.

naomi2

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 1:50 pm
im sorry that I dont have any advice for you, but I want to compliment you on following your gut and going to another dr when the first one was unconcerned. you sound like a very responsible mother. good luck with everything!

anonymrs

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 2:18 pm
My dd is 10 months and is still at least a pound away from doubling her birth weight. Should I be nervous??

Della

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 2:56 pm
I just responded to a different thread ( growth hormones) about this basic idea.

My DS was born at 22" and weighed 8 pounds. By 7 months he was off the charts. At 1 year he almost doubled his weight. He was 18 lbs. by 18 months. You get the picture.

So as to reassure you she may be fine, he's now a good-looking (what did ya expect me to say?!) 19 year old. Thin and muscular, athletic, smart (very), and 5'3".

Go do your tests. My DS never had any because his decline was gradual. He gained every month, just not alot.

He nursed til 10 months, with bottles to supplement calories. I was told my milk was "skim milk", not fattty.

The doctor always told me that as long as he's following his own growth curve he's fine.

Hugs.

ElTam

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 3:03 pm
A lot of kids drop a few percentile points around the time they start crawling. Is she doing that? Or scooting?

DS dropped from 25th percentile to off the charts at around five or six months. It turned out to be combination of more activity plus allergies. B"H our pediatrician has really worked with us to help us get him back on the charts. He's also totally on target developmentally. He walked a little late, but walks fine now and is fine on all other milestones.

I just want to warn you that it usually isn't an easy fix. We've do a lot of things to keep DS on the chart. It's stressful and not easy, but worth it.

1. If something he eats can be baked or fried, I fry it in oil.
2. I put Duocal in his sippy cups.
3. I nurse on demand.
4. He takes cyproheptadine, which stimulates appetite.

Best of luck!

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 3:03 pm
My daughter was also off the charts, but it has been a long time and I don't remember her height/weight. Her growth was steady, following the line, just not there on the chart. She has neurofibromatosis.

I pray that everything is well and your child is fine.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 16 2011, 3:08 pm
My dd is bh perfectly healthy, no eating or blood disorder. However, at 18 months she weighs 18.5 pounds and is 28.5 in. The doctor doesn't seem worried.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics