Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help! My kid is THAT kid!
Previous  1  2  3

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 6:17 am
amother wrote:
and what is this teacher suppose to tell all the parents that are upset that their child was hurt by this kid???? Im sure she tried different things and it keeps happening again. I don't know if sending the child home would be effective. Giving him mitzvah notes when he plays nicely would help a lot, trying to catch him and give him stickers or even a treat when he does good will also help. Also, to show him what he did and to make him hug or sympathize with the hurt child may help too. Play dates is a super idea too. He does have to know his limits though. You dont have to call it time out but if he threw blocks there are not more blocks for him. Or if he was hurting others then he needs to look at a book or color by HIMSELF. But, as a teacher of 2's it is a big problem when they do things that are age appropriate and the other parents are not understanding. At the end of they day they only care that their child comes home safe and clean... they dont want their child hurt even by an age appropriate activity. It may be comforting telling the mother that its normal but if its not stopped its a problem. It sounds like hes really not use to playing with others. Maybe hes doing it for attention or lack of words but you cannot blame it all on the teacher. She also has the responsability to keep all the other kids safe. Im sure she tried other options that the parent may not even be aware of. Its not the mothers responsability to take care of him in school but it is her job to a)be supportive and understanding and b)work hand in hand with the morah.

She needs to tell the other parents that the situation is being worked on. And then she needs to work on it.

As a parent, if I find myself in a siutation where I am dealing with a child who is testing me, I know it's time to get advice (parenting classes, books, consulting with professionals) so that I parent appropriately. I don't call DH to take over, I don't put my kids up for sale, etc...

If I was a teacher and a child (a 2-3 year old, for goodness sake) was behaving in a way that is unacceptable in my class, and was not responding to whatever methods I generally employ, I would know it's time for new skills. I would consider it my responsibility to consult with professionals in the educational field to get a clear, consistent method of dealing with the issue.

As a parent of a child who was testing the Morah, I worked with her by suggesting this and paying for it. It benefited everyone involved, B"H.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics