Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Black tights-sag in crotch-Any ideas? suggestions?

Blue12

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 2:50 am
I bought black tights. Butterfly to be exact. Yes, I followed the sizing chart and I am right in the middle of the lb range for the specific size. For some reason, they sag in the crotch and so when I walk, I feel that I have to pull them up so the crotch doesn't keep rubbing against my thighs. What can I do to make it stop sagging? It's so uncomfortable to have something rubbing against my thighs when it's supposed to go all the way up?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Thanks so much!!!!

youngmum

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 2:58 am
ouch. I know the feeling... (and you have to walk funny and try not to look too stupid at the same time embarrassed) I've never tried this but mabe wearing a pair of underpants/panties on TOP of the tights might help? What about wearing the tights inside out so the seams are on the outside?

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 6:06 am
Wear a second pair of underwear or a panty girdle over the tights. I do it all the time when the waistband stretches out.

Blue12

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 6:17 am
But they're new...Why would they be sagging??

Lakewood

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 6:26 am
Buy the bigger size next time.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 6:33 am
Blue12 wrote:
But they're new...Why would they be sagging??

Because they're too short for your legs, you long-stemmed American beauty, you! Next time buy the talls.

Blue12

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:27 am
But I am short.
This is the first time someone's thought I'm a model! LOL! I am 5'0!!!! HUH? why would they sag?
Thanks zaq!
That's a new one for me!!!! LOL

1Life2Live

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 7:47 am
I sometimes have the same problem... they fit when you pull them up, but as the day goes on they seem to slip down. No advice, I just go to the bathroom often to adjust.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 23 2011, 8:31 am
Blue12 wrote:
But I am short.
This is the first time someone's thought I'm a model! LOL! I am 5'0!!!! HUH? why would they sag?
Thanks zaq!
That's a new one for me!!!! LOL

I didn't say I thought you were a model, hon. It's all about proportion. IMO hosiery should be sized not by overall height and weight but by length of leg and waist/hip size. You can be 5'0 and painfully short-waisted but have the legs of a woman 5'5. That would put you in the "medium" category for hose, not petite. You can have heavy legs, which will mean that the hose will stretch horizontally for the most part, leaving the leg portion too short for you. You can have wide hips or a big belly, which will cause the panty portion to stretch horizontally, leaving the panty portion too short for you.

Knits stretch in two directions, but there's only so far that they can stretch in total. If you take a pair of tights and stretch it lengthwise, it gets real skinny. If you stretch it widthwise, it gets shorter. What you take up in one direction, you lose in the other, which is why one size can fit a shortter, plumper woman and a somewhat taller, thinner one. (Up to a point, anyway. One size never fits all.)

If you're taller--meaning that your legs are longer-- than the manufacturer planned for, the tights will be skinnier than intended. If you're wider than the manufacturer planned for, the tights will be shorter than intended. Hose listed as fitting, say, 5'0-5'5, 90-130 lbs. does not mean that they will fit you if you're 5'0 and weigh 130 lbs. It means it will fit you if you're 5'0 and weigh 90, or 5'5 and weigh 130.

You have several options:

1. Try another brand that proportions hose differently
2. Try Queen size petite if you're not a skinny-mini, esp. if you carry your weight around belly or hips
3. Try size medium instead of petite, or tall if the company doesn't carry medium, esp. if you are more long-legged than usual for your height
4. Before doing any of the above, stretch the hose to the fullest: before donning, take a small segment in your hands, grasp firmly, and stretch lengthwise. Work your way up the length of the hose so they're pre-stretched the whole way. Then, after rolling the tights down and slipping over your foot, pull up a few inches at a time, then stretch that segment to the max. pull up a few more inches and repeat. If the crotch does not reach a comfortable height and stay there, the tights are too short, period. Furthermore, stretching hose to the max shortens their life expectancy, so if you're between sizes, the larger size is a wiser choice.

There is NO standardization in sizing women's wear. One brand's medium is another brand's petite. Ignore the size label and go according to what feels comfortable. Nobody sees the size label, anyway, but they will notice if you waddle around like a toddler with a full diaper or yank at your tights all day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics