Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Treating myself for the 1st recipebook, any recommendations?
Previous  1  2

kitov

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:45 pm
sleepwalking wrote:
I'm treating myself for the first time for a first recipebook (never had one before!!!!)

I want down to earth and easy recipes (no ingredients that you have to pick from the woods or you can find on the moon Wink IYKWIM)

Thanks!

What is your cooking style? And where do you live? That will help you decide. As a chassidishe girl from birth growing up in NY and living in NY, I found the ones made by the chassidishe kehillas, such as Pupa, Bobov and Nitra, to be the most in tune with my palate and grocery aisles.

So tell us more about yourself so we can be of assistance.

Sherri

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:49 pm
Spice and Spirit
Dining In

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 3:14 pm
imaima wrote:
I have all of Kosher by Designs and I use Original, Teens and 20 smths and Celebrate most. They have a lot of recipes and gorgeous pictures.
I only have the childrens and teens and a lot of the ingredients are hard to come by and uses a lot of ready made ingredients.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 5:23 pm
Another vote for spice and spirit cause it has the basic traditional foods. And it must have over 500 recipes.

September June

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 5:36 pm
Fresh and Easy (I didn't buy it yet, but my sister did and she loves it).
Spice and Spirit is out of print. You can buy it for $50 on Amazon or if you don't mind a used old edition $7.00 on barnesnadnobles.com.
Kosher Palette 1 and 2 (I don't own but looked through friends' copies many times).
The original Quick and Kosher (NOT the Meals in Minutes one), it's out of print now but most book stores should have it. Her recipes are more American than Heimish.
I love KBD Teens and Twenty somethings but I did have to buy some new ingredients I never used before.

Friendlymom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:16 pm
Spice and Spirit all the way

runninglate

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:39 pm
all of you who recommended spice n spirit, pls go to my thread on tried and true recipes from this book and post which are your favorites! Very Happy

STovah

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:54 pm
Seems like I'm the only one who doesn't really like the Spice and Spirit... In terms of classic Jewish cookbooks, I much prefer the Heimishe Kitchen series as classics to turn to. Lately, though, I've stopped buying kosher cookbooks and instead get my recipes from the internet or buy highly-rated non-kosher cookbooks (How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, Mollie Katzen's cookbooks, among others).

xoxo1

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 7:44 am
not crazy over spice & spirit either, ur not the only one LOL

jbf

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 10:20 am
Just got Fresh and Easy and love it so far! There is a picture for almost every recipe which is important to me and the ingredients are mostly things you would have at home or are not hard to find.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 11:58 am
I bought Silver Spoon cookbook and it was great! I was a beginner cook and the cookbook was full of easy recipes with very clear and detailed instructions. The recipes ranged from basic to "fancy" - but easy fancy. Nothing too hard.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 1:42 pm
I love the better homes and gardens cookbook. has loads of recipes and tips. I just replaced mine.

also love spice and spirit. If you can't find that I am very happy with kosher pallete.

Those 3 are my most used cookbooks.

yyyyy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 2:15 pm
I really enjoy Dining In & Dining In Again

SS6099

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:22 pm
I second The Balabuste's Choice. Very yummy and practical recipes!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics