Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Adult teeth coming in, old ones not out

malky800

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 9:55 pm
When brusing my 6 yrs olds teeth, I noticed on the front bottom, she had her 2 adult teeth cutting through in the back of them. The baby teeth are not loose yet.
Is there anything I need to be concerned about? Do I need to speak to a dentist, or should I just let them do their thing and when they grow out more it'll push out the baby teeth with them?

gila-rina

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 10:04 pm
take her to dentist, the teeth need to be taken out

mummy-bh

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 1:01 am
gila-rina wrote:
I don't think this is necessary. The adult teeth will soon loosen the baby teeth, make then wobbly and eventually they will fall out of their own accord.

Imi8

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 3:43 am
My experience also has been like mummy-bh. I wouldn't go to the dentist for this - just wait and keep smiling... Very Happy

ora_43

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 3:51 am
I'm with gila-rina, you should see a dentist.

The old teeth might not need to be removed, but the dentist will need to check that the old teeth aren't forcing the new teeth to come in crooked.

At least that's what I remember from when my teeth were growing in (in the end some were pulled, some didn't need it).

jackiejoel3

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 3:56 am
I had the same thing with my DS. I called the dentist he said there was no need to bring him in. It happens all of the time. And once the baby teeth fall out the new ones move forward. In the end, that is exactly what happened LOL

life'sgreat

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 9:18 am
mummy-bh wrote:
gila-rina wrote:
I don't think this is necessary. The adult teeth will soon loosen the baby teeth, make then wobbly and eventually they will fall out of their own accord.

Actually, that's a risk that isn't worth taking. I had two teeth come in before the baby teeth fell out and we decided to 'wait'. Well, firstly, I looked really odd with two rows of teeth for a long time. And the new teeth did not have room to grow properly, so they ended up growing outward and crooked, making it almost impossible to close my mouth fully. In the end I had to have them pulled, which was complicated, as they were behind the newer teeth AND I needed braces for a very long while (5-6 years), this was one of the biggest issues. Not worth waiting. Let the dentist tell them if it's ok to wait, or perhaps have it pulled.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 10:30 am
ora_43 wrote:
I'm with gila-rina, you should see a dentist.

The old teeth might not need to be removed, but the dentist will need to check that the old teeth aren't forcing the new teeth to come in crooked.

At least that's what I remember from when my teeth were growing in (in the end some were pulled, some didn't need it).

I went to a dentist and he said what mummy said. There is no need to pull the baby teeth and traumatize your kid.

mfb

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 10:35 am
my daughter had this a few months ago, but her teeth were shaking a bit the dentist pulled them out , he said the sooner you do it the more likely the tongue will push the teeth forward into their correct spot, by now her teeth are just about in the correct spot

mummiedearest

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 10:36 am
mine started growing in while the baby ones were still loose. the baby ones hung on for over a year. I had to have them pulled. it can't hurt to check with your pediatrician, at the very least.

malky800

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 6:31 pm
The dentist said we should wait and see what happens.

anonymom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:33 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
mummy-bh wrote:
gila-rina wrote:

Actually, that's a risk that isn't worth taking. I had two teeth come in before the baby teeth fell out and we decided to 'wait'. Well, firstly, I looked really odd with two rows of teeth for a long time. And the new teeth did not have room to grow properly, so they ended up growing outward and crooked, making it almost impossible to close my mouth fully. In the end I had to have them pulled, which was complicated, as they were behind the newer teeth AND I needed braces for a very long while (5-6 years), this was one of the biggest issues. Not worth waiting. Let the dentist tell them if it's ok to wait, or perhaps have it pulled.

The new ones in front? Isn't it usually the other way around?

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:57 pm
anonymom wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
mummy-bh wrote:
gila-rina wrote:

The new ones in front? Isn't it usually the other way around?

Maybe. Yes, my new teeth grew on top of the baby teeth, so I had two rabbit teeth.

leah66

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 11:12 pm
Some kids end up needing most of their baby teeth pulled.

MommytoB

Post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 11:55 pm
Our dentist checked with an orthodontist and said that if the new teeth are in front of the baby teeth, it is a problem but growing in behind the baby teeth is not as big a deal and waiting several months is ok. The tongue will push the new teeth forward when the baby teeth fall out. But get a check up from the dentist in any case!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics