Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Can I make latkes in a waffle machine?

de_goldy

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 8:27 am
Any idea if it will work?

xoxo1

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 9:00 am
I would give it a try, what could happend? just make sure u put a lot of oil sapray
so it does not stick.I like to use the oil spray w/ flour it workes great.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 9:11 am
I don't know, but I once tried making french toast in the waffle maker and it made it so dirty, it wasn't worth it at all. It also didn't cook that great. Like I said, I don't know about latkes though.

Simple1

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 9:33 am
yo'ma wrote:
I don't know, but I once tried making french toast in the waffle maker and it made it so dirty, it wasn't worth it at all. It also didn't cook that great. Like I said, I don't know about latkes though.

try it in a sandwich maker, if you have one - it's easier to clean.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 10:06 am
Simple1 wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

try it in a sandwich maker, if you have one - it's easier to clean.

I don't have one. I use my waffle maker as a sandwich maker too. I saw in a store that they have now that you can interchange waffle to sandwich and obviously the piece comes out, but since it's the same 2 slicer, it's not worth it, but thanks for the idea.

Liba

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 10:11 am
If all you have is a waffle maker, you could try it, worst case you have a mess and no latkes best case you have some awesome extra crispy latkes. I am totally curious if it would work now, so if you try it please let us know.

If I couldn't use a frying pan I would brush oil onto baking paper on a cookie sheet and make them in a hot hot oven though, if it was an option.

medola

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 11:22 pm
Wow. Probably the BEST question I've ever seen posted here on Imamother! Mazal Tov! Cheers
(I'm being totally serious!)

Please do tell us how it comes out, if you try it (and you should!) - because I'd love to have an excuse to make another "test batch" of latkes (made one last night - so yum!) and this sounds like such a neat idea! If they really come out in the shape of waffles that would just be the cutest most yummiest and crispiest treat ever!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 11:35 pm
If you're interested in oven baked latkes, greeneyes has a recipe.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Dec 13 2011, 11:40 pm
Thanks guys - it was for a kids activity I was doing today, wasn't sure I would have access to a stove-top. Decided not to try out the waffle idea in case it flopped, so moved activity to a different area and used a regular stove.

I actually found a whole website earlier by a guy who tried all kinds of things in a waffle-maker. Can't find it now though.

medola

Post Wed, Dec 14 2011, 11:06 am
So this idea got me all inspired and I just made my very own "test batch" of waffle latkes!

I used the regular latkes recipe (even though I found a few waffle latke recipes online - but they seemed kinda complicated...). I heated up the waffle iron as well as two skillets - so I made some the old fashioned way and some with my waffle maker.

Here's the verdict:
Although they came out perfectly formed - no mess at all from using the waffle iron - the waffle latkes just don't taste as good as the traditional fried in oil ones. They're fluffy but not crispy enough. I miss the sound of hearing my arteries clogging with every bite.
So, it's great if you're trying to cut out the calories/fat from the oil and want to try something different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus