Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does the MMR cause autism?
Previous  1  2  3  4

HavingItAll

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:05 pm
Can we please just acknowledge that everyone is trying to do right by their children, however they calculate that? One reason why I like our family doctor is that he said vaccinating his kids was hard for him. He gets it. He is ok with us delaying and spacing out, and says he knows that his job is to advise, but only patients/parents can make the choice.

You may not agree with what another mother decides (on this or anything) but for Heaven's sake, don't be nasty about it. Most people I know have had a lot of worry about this and other parenting choices, it's not taken lightly.

And to the poster upthread who said that maybe non-vaxers secretly don't care if unvaxed kids with medical issues die - shame on you. You have contributed nothing and lowered the tone of the discussion substantially. I can respect people who make choices I think wrong, more easily than I can respect the sort of viciousness you showed.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:08 pm
Gryp, that is actually fascinating; my son had 6 back-to-back ear infections as a baby, and I was on an extremely high dose of Augmentin for 3 months when he was a newborn. But his regression began a year after his last of those ear infections so the correlation isn't clear here.

HavingItAll

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:13 pm
CrunchyNotFlakey wrote:

Everyone who disagrees with me is not "bad". When dangerously wrong meets profit motive, that's when I start to be less charitable in my assessment.

MMR does not cause autism, but the money of families with ASD does cause shady characters to exploit those affected.

(edited for clarity)

I agree with you. I have to say, though, if we're talking about profit motives, cui bono seems to indict pharmaceutical companies more than autism research.

And I say this as a partial and delayed vaxer, who agonized over it, less because of autism than the other issues - like all drugs, these come with warning labels, and some of the acknowledged, documented side effects are not trivial. I also have an in-law with a limp because of polio. I have a friend whose child developed a fever after a shot and went into convulsions. I couldn't live with myself if my child went through that. I have another friend whose husband is sterile because of mumps as a teen. Couldn't live with myself if my son went through that either.

I think immunizing all children against everything in infancy is a really bad idea. Equally, no vaccines ever is probably also a bad idea - would anyone here refuse a tetanus shot if their child was injured and the doctor recommended one at the hospital? Like with so many things, I believe in moderation, common sense, and the advice of people I trust - and I avoid fanatics, on any side of the issue.

jelly belly

Post Thu, Dec 15 2011, 11:19 pm
I just came across this article today. The study it discusses is small, but it does indicate that children with autism have an enlarged pre-frontal cortex. These extra brain cells are believed to develop during pregnancy. Obviously, more research is needed, but if this is so, autism is hardwired before birth.

http://www.babycenter.com/204_.....02.bc

An earlier study also showed that children with autism have larger brains than those without. This article mentions that the increased brain growth appears to start at around 6 months.

http://healthland.time.com/201.....uses/
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics