Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cant she hear me?

lovemywig

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 11:02 pm
My daughter is 3 and I have relized that she ignores me alot and I have noticed that its usually when there is background noise she doesnt respond and when I raise my voice REALLY loud then she gets annoyed and start crying or yelling. Do I need to check it out?

frimamom

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 11:05 pm
It's probably just selective hearing but I would check it out just to be sure

groisamomma

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 11:12 pm
If she's ignoring you when you are giving her a command, I would chalk it up to selective hearing, but if it happens when you try to get her attention or just call her name then there's no reason for her to ignore you-she may not hear you.

She gets upset when you raise your voice bec. she probably has no idea you called her a few times already and now you're annoyed at her and she has no idea why.

Check her hearing.

ellie23

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 11:12 pm
definitely have it checked out to be safe but just to calm your nerves..my mother had that issue with me at that age and it was totally selective hearing...good luck!

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 11:17 pm
Quick and dirty test: Stand where she can't see you and whisper "Chanaleh, you want some cookies (or whatever her favorite snack is that she always, always wants)?" If she doesn't respond, get her hearing checked pronto.

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 11:56 pm
I have a friend whose mother was constantly yelling at one of her sons for ignoring her. When she took him to the dr. she found out that he had so much wax in his ears that he really couldnt hear her.

When my son was sent for hearing tests, (constant congestion) they told me that what I was hearing as normal, he heard as if he was underwater!

So definitely get him checked out.

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 1:16 am
zaq wrote:
Quick and dirty test: Stand where she can't see you and whisper "Chanaleh, you want some cookies (or whatever her favorite snack is that she always, always wants)?" If she doesn't respond, get her hearing checked pronto.

We started noticing with DD that if walked into the room while her back was turned, she didn't know that we were there.

As for Zaq's idea, remember, some children can hear certain pitches but not others. Background noise (the television, the vaccum, a loud AC) can muffle all sorts of words. Also, she might be hearing you talk, but she can't differentiate the different words.

Start with a simple pediatric appointment. They'll check to see if DD has an ear infection/fluid behind the drum. If the answer to either of those is yes, they'll next consider her 'history'. Was she a late talker? Does she tend to misunderstand what you tell her? Does she turn the volume up on music/television/etc? If you are noticing a 'yes trend' that indicates that the problem is more than just a one-time ear infection, or a particularly bad allergy season, you might be asked to come back in a week (for the next few months) or they'll save alot of hassle and hand you the referral to the ENT. Personally, I vote that if she's having difficulty with speech, hearing, and/or she has fluid behind the drum, go straight to an ENT. Why? B/c an ent has much more specialized equipment. Together with an audiologist, they can determine the exact amount of hearing loss and using a giant microscope, they can see the ear drum better than a regular ped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics