Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How exactly is a bris performed?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 10:26 pm
Obviously I know that the foreskin is removed. but how is that done? it's attached all around, isn't it? so what gets cut? and with a knife or scissors? also, why doesn't it need stitching afterwards?

any wife of a mohel here?

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 18 2011, 11:16 pm
DH is a mohel and I know more than I ever wanted/needed to about how a bris is done, but I would love to know why you're asking in this way in this venue.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 12:01 am
Maybe she wants to do it herself, a la Tzipporah. Tzipporah used a sharp stone; this is no longer recommended.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 12:10 am
Yknow, I was actually thinking it's takeh a good skill for women to know. True it's ideally the father's role but if women are the ones having the babies... there just might not always be a mohel available. I'm a little morbid, yes, but I think of things like the holocaust and wonder if we'll know what to do if we're stuck without things like pre-kashered supermarket chickens... and mohels.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 4:47 pm
seeker, if you'd rather I can PM you. I'm asking because I've been to a few brissim lately and as of now I only have girls but I'yh when I do have a boy I would like to know what exactly takes place. and I don't think I'll be in shape to hear about it when I'm post partum and emotional enough about giving my baby for a bris!

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
seeker, if you'd rather I can PM you. I'm asking because I've been to a few brissim lately and as of now I only have girls but I'yh when I do have a boy I would like to know what exactly takes place. and I don't think I'll be in shape to hear about it when I'm post partum and emotional enough about giving my baby for a bris!

By my baby's bris, I asked the mohel to tell me step by step what he was doing. The bris itself was on a shabbos, so he had to do most of the prep beforehand, and I watched the whole thing. It actually isnt so bad if you know what's going on. When the time comes for a future sons bris, ull ask the mohel.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 5:53 pm
Feel free to PM

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 10:02 pm
The mohel uses a special knife for it, its just the tip that is cut, as the foreskin is just the tip. no it does not need stiches, its a very minor procedure in the scheme of things, and its really not all that big of a deal.

Signed a mother of many boys.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 10:10 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
The mohel uses a special knife for it, its just the tip that is cut, as the foreskin is just the tip. no it does not need stiches, its a very minor procedure in the scheme of things, and its really not all that big of a deal.

Signed a mother of many boys.

true that the foreskin is at the tip, but it goes all around. is it only attached at one point? sorry, just trying to get it.

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 11:18 pm
emesornt wrote:
amother wrote:

By my baby's bris, I asked the mohel to tell me step by step what he was doing. The bris itself was on a shabbos, so he had to do most of the prep beforehand, and I watched the whole thing. It actually isnt so bad if you know what's going on. When the time comes for a future sons bris, ull ask the mohel.

A few weeks before my 1st son was born, I was invited to a coworker's son's bris. The mohel was the one I wanted to hire had my baby been male, so I asked the mohel and the mother if I could watch the set-procedure and ask questions. That way I knew what to expect should my baby need a bris.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 10:43 am
wikipedia tells me that only te foreskin is cut. (the tip), but the membrane is pushed back, ans that goes around the shaft.

morah

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 11:40 am
I don't know that you can get the whole story from Wiki. A halachik bris is different from just a circumcision. Did the article mention differences between the two? I have a relative who is a ger and even though he had been circumcised as a baby (as are most boys born in the US), they had to do a little more before he was tovel.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 11:58 am
There are different ways to circumcise. Some will just need to be pricked, some need some modifications.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 3:14 pm
Morah, I read the entry on brit milah, and on circunscision. In hospitat circs, the membrane is fully removed in.nost cases. In mila it is pushed back.

NaturalMom

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 4:38 pm
Don't forget about metziza b'peh. I've heard that some do it with a straw now. Ours didn't.

Watching the prep made me physically ill at the time. And I'm not a squeamish person.

Signed, a mother of 3 boys.

Shuly

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 5:03 pm
This is why one of my (male) teachers in seminary taught us all about a bris in seminary. He had dealt with too many panic-y mothers who didn't know what was happening to their baby.
He used the mashal of a disposable rubber glove and said it's like pulling the tip of the glove away from your finger, slicing off the tip of the glove with a knife, and rolling back a little bit of the rubber around the hole so that the tip of the finger shows through the hole. Many mohels use a guard which is something that would be slid around the glove before cutting to make sure not to cut too much. Metzitzah - removing the blood, is done by sucking with the mouth or through a tube, depending on the mohel.

anonymom

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 7:38 pm
Shuly wrote:
This is why one of my (male) teachers in seminary taught us all about a bris in seminary. He had dealt with too many panic-y mothers who didn't know what was happening to their baby.
He used the mashal of a disposable rubber glove and said it's like pulling the tip of the glove away from your finger, slicing off the tip of the glove with a knife, and rolling back a little bit of the rubber around the hole so that the tip of the finger shows through the hole. Many mohels use a guard which is something that would be slid around the glove before cutting to make sure not to cut too much. Metzitzah - removing the blood, is done by sucking with the mouth or through a tube, depending on the mohel.

I totally agree, young mothers should know what is going on at the bris. But does noone think it a bit inappropriate for a male teacher to be discussing it with seminary girls????????????

Unless, the guy is a mohel, and this is so natural a topic for him that he didn't think??

Blueberry Muffin

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 9:08 pm
yes - its a bit weird that a male teacher explained it - but I think his annalogy is spot on and spoke in a more "tzanuah" fashion than actually saying the organs part to a group of seminary girls.

rydys

Post Tue, Dec 20 2011, 10:31 pm
Shuly wrote:

This is a good description of a kosher bris. First, the mohel takes a special stick and separates the foreskin from the glans (the tip of the aiver). Then he pulls the foreskin forward as far as it will go and cuts it straight across. There is a small amount of foreskin left over. He then rips the top of that small piece and folds it back against the shaft of the aiver and wraps it with gauze and usually with some kind of powder so it will not bleed too much. I'm not sure at what point metzitza is done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics