Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The following novels

yummydd

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:22 pm
I want to order one of the following books, can anyone who has read any of them tell me which one is good? (I want to order it tonight as Israel book shop publication has a special which ends tonight)

Circumstances by Chana Pincus
Into the whirlwind by Tzippora Price
Fools gold by Libby Lazewnick
The freedom to be by Chaya David
what lies within by Leah Widen

Thanks

September June

Post Tue, Dec 27 2011, 11:42 pm
I didn't like Fool's Gold or What Lies Within.
Fool's Gold- The plot and ending was very typical and I felt Esther and Yoni were very easily manipulated. There was no major character developement either.
4 main charecters
Leila- She is becoming a BT much to her parent's dismay and is worried about who her brother is hanging out with.
Esther- enslaves herself to her widowed friend
Yaffa- Esther's manipulative friend. She is not likable. At all. (A bit like Carol Barron- if you've read any of Libbly L.'s other books)
Yoni- He dreams of making it big time in politics until something happens to burst his bubble. (A bit like Yossi Arlen is the Quest)

I don't remember anything about What Lies Within. I do remember feeling that the plot was a bit childish.

Some imamothers read Freedom To Be and liked it. Here is the thread discussing it: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....67025

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 10:05 am
I'm in the middle of reading Into The Whirlwind.
I don't find it to be exceptionally well-written, and I can easily put it down.
It does address subjects that other publishers wouldn't touch (e.g. hinting at drugs, bulimia, cutting, etc)

Faigy86

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 10:16 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I'm in the middle of reading Into The Whirlwind.
I don't find it to be exceptionally well-written, and I can easily put it down.
It does address subjects that other publishers wouldn't touch (e.g. hinting at drugs, bulimia, cutting, etc)

I found that while it was exploring an important agenda, novels aren't supposed to be obviously pursuing an agenda... Definitely an interesting read, but not the enjoyment of a novel.

Last edited by Faigy86 on Wed, Dec 28 2011, 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

tsiggelle

Post Wed, Dec 28 2011, 11:24 am
yummydd wrote:
I want to order one of the following books, can anyone who has read any of them tell me which one is good? (I want to order it tonight as Israel book shop publication has a special which ends tonight)

Thanks

I have read all of them.

I would buy 'the freedom to be' and 'circumstances ' first. then comes 'what lies within' and 'into the whirlwind' and then 'fools gold'. but thats just my opinion.

edited after I read all of them

Last edited by tsiggelle on Mon, Mar 12 2012, 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

realeez

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 12:53 pm
- Defintitely eye opening and really shows you never know what goes on behind closed doors

- I finished feeling like "OK making aliyah with teenagers ruins them..." Definite agenda.

- I read when serialized in Binah. She's the best author around and only Libby can make readers hate an almanah!

- Very heavy book but I enjoyed (other than the part of a boy googling and getting into a live chat not being possible)

- has the potential to be a good book but it wasn't developed enough/too simplistic

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 2:56 pm
I have only read "Freedom to Be" on that list. It is a good piece of writing, and I certainly recommend reading it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room