Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ideas needed to help incorporate veggies.....

SS6099

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 9:56 am
My 6 yr-old son is quite solid and on the heavier side, although I wouldn't quite categorize him as chubby. However, he REFUSES to eat any fruits or vegetables, and it's very frustrating to me, since I eat lots of it and try to set a good example.
How do I disguise for him vegetables, other than carrot cupcakes, which that he will eat?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 10:40 am
My kids will eat cucumber, peppers and tomatoes but that's it. So I started making veg puree soups. As long as a sprinkle those soup crunchies on top, they'll eat it. You can also puree veggies into sauces for meatballs, chicken etc.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 10:44 am
I don't have kids that age yet, but what works for my not-yet-four year old is to use fruits and vegetables as snacks when we're on the go, or when no other food is available. For example, he wouldn't TOUCH peppers and cucumbers a few months ago. He was also very hungry about half an hour before dinnertime and would start to kvetch for food. I started cutting up peppers and cucumbers and saying that those were the only foods allowed before dinner. He ate them. Now he'll even eat them sometimes when they're served as side dishes (although not often). This was unheard of before.

I'll also bring fruits or vegetables with us if we go out -- on errands, or to the park. If he gets hungry, he knows that's all we have with us. Usually he chooses to eat them.

Sure, you can put any vegetable in the food processor and mix it into foods like pasta, soups, or casseroles. But I think it's important, if possible, for ds to know that fruits and vegetables are good and can be eaten plain, as a snack. If I hide them, he'll think "I don't eat that" even though he does. In the long wrong, I feel that this way is better.

the chevrah

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 10:48 am
Same here. I start off every day supper with a diff soup w/ diff veggies in there for this reason.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:36 am
You can add shredded veggies to any ground meat dish. I do it all the time it also adds moisture.

Bright

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 11:50 am
Just a tip,
We all need vegetables for their vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It is unhealthy to pressure kids about food so you could only do that much in trying to make him eat the veggies. If nothing works, you could give him a multi vitamin multi mineral supplement, and get some fiber into him in other forms such as granola or other high fiber foods.
What may more or just as important for your son is getting more protein foods into him as that will automatically cut his carb intake.
Good luck

SS6099

Post Mon, Jan 02 2012, 12:02 pm
Technically, yes I can sneak in veggies when he doesn't know.
I wish I could get him to actually agree to eat it. He'd rather starve than eat veggies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics