Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shows like Downton Abbey
Previous  1  2

spoons

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 3:14 pm
spring13 wrote:
there's always the BBC Pride and Prejudice miniseries too - you could probably find that at the library.

my all time favorite! Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy.. Smile First time I watched that was in 12th grade instead of reading the book- teacher never knew. Then saw it again a few years back after I read it for real Smile much better than the new one with Keira Knightley

brklin

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 3:53 pm
is downton abbey clean/appropriate?

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 3:58 pm
brklin wrote:
is downton abbey clean/appropriate?

There are a couple quick kisses in the whole show, and without giving away any spoilers, there's one scene where a man and woman are lying in bed with their arms and shoulders uncovered....but they're not doing anything.

I would say that, yes, it's definitely good for a more frum audience.

spoons

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 3:59 pm
Early 1900s England..I'd say that makes for clean writing! There's an occasional (2?) "scandal" but you don't see much (someone walks in on a couple but they quickly cover up, embarrassed...)

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Jan 03 2012, 3:59 pm
spoons wrote:
Capitalchick wrote:
I'm completely obsessed with Downton Abbey. I LOVE it! I've watched season 1 and half of season 2 in four days. My husband is ready to kill me LOL! I don't know what I'll do when I'm done with season 2 and have to wait to watch season 3. Sigh...

It's such a romantic time and the actors are just so fantastic!!

Without giving away any spoilers, what are your favorite storylines in the show?? Mine is the Mr. Bates storyline (I'm referring to his new lady friend, but don't want to give her name, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone).

I'm SO excited that there are others who got into this wonderful show.

I love historical fiction, Jane Austen is my fave. But I'll take early 1900's too Smile
I like the Mr. Bates story too, though you're only 1/2 way, I don't want to tell you what will be..
and of course Matthew and Mary, who I actually like.

Unfortunately, I went snooping around facebook and wikipedia for some info about the show and I happen to read a line or two about the bates storyline from the end of season 2, so I'm well aware of what happens. I kinda wanna scream....

devo1982

Post Wed, Jan 04 2012, 1:56 am
I recently watched the very excellent "Wives and Daughters" - another British miniseries. I was completely hooked on it! It's very clean as well - very modest costumes, no kissing, etc (there's mild flirtation and heartache, but nothing explicit).

celestial

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 10:07 am
I love LOVE LOVE Downton Abbey, but I generally find period dramas to be sort of boring, and I'm not a Jane Austen fan. Where does that leave me in finding shows with a similar appeal? Smile It's not really the history that interests me, although it does incidentally, but the writing, the plot, the acting, how refined the characters' personal journeys are, the clothes and THAT CASTLE! I'm entranced.

GingerSpice

Post Mon, Apr 23 2012, 6:14 pm
North and South, its a four part tv show/movie. You can watch it on Netflix or if you have Amazon prime.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 5:18 am
I just started watching Downton Abbey and cant get enough of it. I absolutely LOVE period dramas and I especially love the time period that this show is in, but are there only two seasons or is there a third? Wherever I look to watch it, it only shows two seasons, but when I read about it, it says that there should be three.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 7:46 am
Only two seasons have aired. The 3rd season will air this fall in England, and poor me in the US has to wait until next January. In England, the 2nd season was aired last fall with the Xmas episode a special add on, airing later on Xmas. In the US the special episode (which some mistakenly called a 3rd season before the real 3rd season was filmed) was shown right at the end of the official second season.

chatouli

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 7:56 am
Another vote for Mad Men (although it's not particularly clean/kosher).

See if you can find Jeeves and Wooster - it's British period comedy from the same era as Downton Abbey and it's definitely clean. It was on PBS when I was a child. It's hilarious!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Oct 02 2012, 3:16 pm
third season of downton abbey has started for all who want to know Smile

etky

Post Tue, Oct 02 2012, 4:10 pm
I literally just finished watching the 3rd episode of season 3.
Started off a bit lame but it's getting better as the season progresses.
I found that was the case with both previous seasons too.

Pandabeer

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 9:33 pm
land girls - also a British film, played in the WW2 era in a small British farm.
1 season on Hulu, the rest 2 I used watchseries

Kfar

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:06 pm
Upstairs, Downstairs from the 70's is terrific! Mad Men is also terrific and totally addicting, but very different . . . . Smile

etky

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 1:25 am
Kfar wrote:
Upstairs, Downstairs from the 70's is terrific! Mad Men is also terrific and totally addicting, but very different . . . . Smile

There's nothing quite like Upstairs, Downstairs. It's iconic. Downton Abbey is a soap opera (though an engaging and overall well acted one) in comparison.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2012, 3:56 am
the same person who made downton abbey also made a 4 part drama series on the titanic.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 30 2012, 7:33 pm
toward the end of the comments here, someone posted google links to season three and further down the xmas special.thank me later Cool

http://www.rageagainsttheminiv.....cover
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics