Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
13 month old ds always thirsty. cause for concern?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 12:55 am
My 13 month old constantly asks for water. Whenever he sees me with a cup or whenever he sees the spring water, he just gets so desperate and has to drink that instant and as a result of that his diapers need to be changed pretty frequently. Is this a cause for concern?

abmom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 1:19 am
14 month old DS cries for a drink whenever he sees me or anyone else drink. I think he just enjoys to drink. I didn't think I have to worry about it. Do I?

abmom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 1:19 am
14 month old DS cries for a drink whenever he sees me or anyone else drink. I think he just enjoys to drink. I didn't think I have to worry about it. Do I?

abmom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 1:20 am
Sorry about the double post.

Shalshelet

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 1:26 am
It could be diabetes related. Excessive thirst/wet diapers is one of the symptoms.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/lifestyle/diabetes-children/babies_with_diabetes wrote:
The same symptoms that occur in older kids and adults signaling the possibility of type 1 diabetes apply to infants and toddlers; the difference is that since their verbal communication skills are limited, you probably won’t recognize them as quickly. In addition, symptoms like fatigue are hard to discern in a baby who sleeps a good deal of the day anyway. The positive news is that most parents, particularly new ones, will take a “rather safe than sorry” attitude and take an inconsolable infant or toddler to the doctor to figure out what’s wrong quickly rather than waiting around for things to worsen. If your child is at risk for type 1 diabetes, you can be on the lookout for the following symptoms:

Excessive wet diapers.
    Diaper rash that doesn’t resolve quickly or keeps recurring.
    Constant hunger and/or thirst
    Irritability or fussiness that don’t seem related to colic.
    Sleeping more than usual.

However, excessive thirst on its own is usually still in the range of normal.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 6:25 am
ds did not take a pacifier or any other kind of thing like that. he would drink excessive amounts of water, lots and lots of huge wet diapers. once he stopped using a bottle, around 2.5, he stopped drinking so much water.

maybe get it checked out by a dr anyway, but my ds just drank water as a crutch.

lizard8

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 7:56 am
My nephew is a huge drinker (water!). Since he's been little he always needed to drink. My sil always sends extra drinks with him to school. He's ok, just a thirsty boy.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 12:37 pm
OP here. Thanks to all of you for easing my mind.

I just came from the Dr. Who assured me that my son doesn't look like a diabetic kid b"h. His breath smells fine and the bloodwork that we did 2 months ago came back normal b"h. He also did a finger prick test now and the glucose reading was fine. So I guess ds just has a habit of drinking.

spoiled

Post Sun, Jan 08 2012, 12:46 pm
Thanks for updating!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics