Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
8 year old dd w/eczema - making me so drained and depressed!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 8:59 pm
Wave Hi MaBelleVie

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 10:45 pm
gryp wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
We had a big boy, mature discussion about this. I said I think wheat might be causing it but I know it's hard not to eat it, so we'll start with some easier things.
When I was looking at the whole wheat bread I bought (it is eggless Smile), he decided to try to avoid wheat as well.
So we'll be sending tuna to school tomorrow (mayo-less I guess) and he'll have apple and veggies from the school lunch. Snacks will be applesauce and veggie straws I suppose.
I have no idea what to do about hamotzi though. I can't quickly make a wheat free hamotzi and I can't go shopping if I could even get something yoshon that is wheatless.
He's eating chickpeas for supper tonight Smile

Wow. He is a big boy!

I wish I could give you the box of organic spelt matzah I have sitting here that my boys can't eat.

I can't help you with hamotzi though, my kids haven't washed in 3 months except the one time I made them Seraph's cornbread recipe with oat flour substituted for... another flour in there, can't remember. (For some reason they didn't like it, I'm not sure why, it smelled so good. I didn't taste it because of my aversion to GF food, but) the recipe was pretty simple.

I'm in the middle of making an oatmeal bread in my bread machine.
Not sure what the bracha is on it though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 10:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
We had a big boy, mature discussion about this. I said I think wheat might be causing it but I know it's hard not to eat it, so we'll start with some easier things.
When I was looking at the whole wheat bread I bought (it is eggless Smile), he decided to try to avoid wheat as well.
So we'll be sending tuna to school tomorrow (mayo-less I guess) and he'll have apple and veggies from the school lunch. Snacks will be applesauce and veggie straws I suppose.
I have no idea what to do about hamotzi though. I can't quickly make a wheat free hamotzi and I can't go shopping if I could even get something yoshon that is wheatless.
He's eating chickpeas for supper tonight Smile
Can you send a container of rice with him to school? Or does it really have to be a Hamotzi?
They're required to eat hamotzi to learn benching for chinuch purposes...if they don't bring, the school gives them matza.

Pinkerella

Post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 11:17 pm
anonymrs wrote:
reposting bec n/o saw it:

My daughter is off tomatoes, dairy, and eggs, (and soy and nuts) but still has terrible eczema. I am using aquaphor daily but her face/eyes are still awful. She is always rubbing. Also, I can see that something bothers her inside because she is constantly rubbing her nose. She is a year old. Any advice?

My daughter is now 2, but at 11 months she was breaking out - initially with spots and since then with eczema. It took a while, (but it wasn't *too* hard because she was so little and not on too much processed foods) and found that it was from all orange vegetables (carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, butternut squash), tomatoes, grapes and spinach. It was not easy because a little of anything didn't make her break out right away (she had been having a little grape juice at kiddush since she was really little). But if she had it several times or a little of a bunch of things she couldn't tolerate, she would break out faster. Also, if she had something the night before and the next day she had cherrios and milk, the milk that dripped on her chin would irritate her. I finally realized it wasn't the milk itself, it was a reaction on her skin even though I didn't see anything there initially. She had allergy testing (both blood work and scratch test) twice and both times she was negative. However, she is allergic to tree nuts. You can keep trying to eliminate different things, but for my dd, if she was completely off something and then had a little it wouldn't bother her. I figured out some things by the strong reaction she had when she ate more of something (spinach in meatballs - little reaction missed the connection. spinach quiche - BIG reaction). Corn can be a problem and it's in A LOT of things. I wish I could give you an easy way to figure it out, but it's hard because it often doesn't come up on tests. Hatzlacha!

Tal

Post Tue, Jan 10 2012, 11:14 pm
Hi,

It must be so hard for both of you!

DS was finally diagnosed with A-topic-dermetitis. severe eczema.

What FINALLY(!!) worked for us was: long baths with bath oil and before toweling off put on a cream that does not hurt or sting and he can put it on himself. (he was willing to do it himself if it didn't hurt!) then when it dried a little put on more cream.

Also, his sensitivity was to chemicals in the cleaning products not food!! including laundry and bathing!

We switch everything. gradually he got better and gets only rare flareups.

I knew we were on the right track when he went to a frien for a few nights and slept on their linen and got a flare up! and it is consistant!

If you want to know what I did and how, you can pm me.

Good luck! it is not an easy time, but once you find what works for you'll be able to help others!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 11:47 am
Yeah, my eczema is all due to topical allergens, so I assumed that was the case with my son too (his brother is topical like me, not food) until he had facial rashes. It's pretty obvious at this point it's due to food.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:46 pm
if you want your son to have pizza when his class is-

GF pizza crust
http://premeditatedleftovers.c.....rust/

No tomato sauce-
http://realfoodforager.com/vid.....gaps/

Vegan cheese sauce- just replace the flour with corn starch or potato starch
http://www.pennilessparenting.......html

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2012, 7:59 pm
I'm not spending $ on flour alternatives during the trial period. Thanks though!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics