Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to "unfreeze" a frozen car door lock in the mo

amother

Post Sat, Jan 14 2012, 10:51 pm
Looks like winter is here to stay. I need some tried and true tips on how to get a frozen car door lock to open in the morning when I'm rushing to do carpool or get to work. I don't want to try anything that will break the lock, I.e., if I use hot water to warm the frozen lock, I'm afraid it will rust the car door or lock...any other ideas?

shoemaker

Post Sat, Jan 14 2012, 11:17 pm
wd 40 really works.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 14 2012, 11:29 pm
OP here. If I use WD40 once, will it help for weeks at a time, or is this something I must use daily? And is daily too often?

miami85

Post Sat, Jan 14 2012, 11:30 pm
When I was a kid (10-15), my father, who knew a thing or two about cars, would tell me to boil a kettle of water so he could pour the hot water on the door frame & the lock so he could drive me to school. Never had a rust problem. Another idea is to keep a can of de-icer spray in the house and use it to spray the lock etc.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 1:45 am
Interesting links:

http://www.askaquery.com/quest......html

http://www.gadgetbargains.com/......html

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 7:48 am
I find getting a car starter to be really helpful.
We basically have a button on our car keys that
when we push it the car will start to warm up,
then after about 10 minutes or so,
all the doors can open, often the snow on the windows have melted too,
and you can do it from the convenience of your home,
so you don't have to get into a cold car.

Liba

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 8:11 am
A hairdryer works if you have a long cord or are close to an outlet. WD40 should last a while (weeks or months) if it is a stiff lock, but it won't do much IME if it is actually full of ice.

EmesOrNT

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 10:15 am
Get a remote start. Not only will it solve your lock problem, but it'll be better for your car engine. Start the car about 10 minutes before you go out, from inside your house while you drink your coffee. That way, the engine will be warmed up when you start driving. Driving with a cold engine is bad for your car, so unless it's a lease, it's worth it to pay for a remote start.

I don't know where you live, but my husband sells and installs remote starts for good prices. YOU can get a really good one for under $100 or get one in your smartphone if you have it. He's on fort hamilton and 64th.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics