Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Whooping cough in Lakewood??

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 9:43 pm
I read in the Lakewood circulars that whooping cough is going around. Is that true? Or is Dr. Shanik just trying to get the word out so people should vaccinate?

My kids are vaccinated. I'm just trying to figure out if I should really check that all the kids in their playgroups are vaccinated like Dr. Shanik is recommending.

[amother because my sisters know that I am trying to figure this out.]

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 9:57 pm
if its a vaccination ploy, dr gittleman is in on it.
Smile
seriously though, dr gittleman told me today not to take my preemie to any public places until the age of 6 mos because of whooping cough. I would look into the playgroup thing. and my kids morah asked dh if dc has had the pertussis (sp?) vaccine.

chavamom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:01 pm
I got news for you - we had pertussis not once, but TWICE in the past year (different kids). Yes, mine are vaccinated....as is everyone else in their schools where the outbreaks started. These were outbreaks in two very different settings (cheder and JCC daycare), both of which require vaccination to attend.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
if its a vaccination ploy, dr gittleman is in on it.
Smile
seriously though, dr gittleman told me today not to take my preemie to any public places until the age of 6 mos because of whooping cough. I would look into the playgroup thing. and my kids morah asked dh if dc has had the pertussis (sp?) vaccine.
Wait, is he the one who doesn't vaccinate until 10 lbs and 10 weeks and not during the winter months? Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:54 pm
You are mixing him up with someone else, I forget what his name is - it's a doctor at Chemed I think.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:25 am
You're right. The one I'm thinking of is at chemed. Thanks.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:32 am
There was a dial-in phone call on Monday night, and I totally forgot about it. Can anyone enlighten me as to what was said?

TIA

STovah

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
You are mixing him up with someone else, I forget what his name is - it's a doctor at Chemed I think.

That must be Dr. Eilenberg. We miss him greatly in Brooklyn Sad

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:27 pm
I have a daughter in 8th grade and in her class alone there are 3 cases. The girls were up to date on their shots.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
I read in the Lakewood circulars that whooping cough is going around. Is that true? Or is Dr. Shanik just trying to get the word out so people should vaccinate?

My kids are vaccinated. I'm just trying to figure out if I should really check that all the kids in their playgroups are vaccinated like Dr. Shanik is recommending.

[amother because my sisters know that I am trying to figure this out.]

there is a 7 month old Lakewood baby in Chop in critical condition - Refael Yisroel Meir ben Sarah Gittel
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....73778

There was also a 6 week old baby who is b'h doing better.

21young

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:37 pm
It is every mother's responsibility to ask the babysitter or playgroup morah to check that every child is vaccinated.
My 9 month old son is hearing impaired and is on extremely strong medications to keep away the constant ear infections so we can get accurate hearing tests. The medication is also making his immune system a bit susceptible right now.
When this story came out I nagged the babysitter until she agreed and sent a note home asking mothers to sign that they can show proof that their children are vaccinated. One mother refused to sign and her baby is now out of the group!
I use Dr. Shanik and I asked Dr. Braverman (a senior Dr. in the group) if what I did was okay. He said I did the right thing, and this baby should not be allowed into any babysitting group until he/she is vaccinated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics