Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
8 year old son sleep issues pediatrician recommending melato

leahleah

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 3:43 pm
any experience using melatonin for kid's sleep issues?
Any other ideas like should I try accupuncture or something else?
My son lies in bed for hours some nights...he just can't fall asleep.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 5:29 pm
I'm using it right now for my son. It has definitely helped. He used to lie awake for hours complaining he couldn't fall asleep. Now he takes it at 8, goes to bed at 8:30 and within the hour he's asleep.

I don't want to use it long term, but after trying various things, we just had to do this so he could function. He used to fall asleep 11 PM, be up before 7. He needed help regulating his sleep cycle.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 6:08 pm
We gave it to my son when he was 3 because he wouldn't be able to fall asleep until 10-11. We gave him 1 5mg pill each night for a few months (my dr suggested skipping it once a week-we did shabbos- so he wouldnt become dependent) and after that we found that he didn't even need it! His body fell into a regular sleep rhythm and BH he hasn't needed it in about a year (my sister actually claims to have had the same experience at 20 yrs old - of not needing it after several months, once her body got used to getting the right amount of sleep). And even though he doesn't sleep as much as most kids his age, BH I believe he is functioning appropriately and I think that some kids just need less sleep.

You can also read scary studies on melatonin and I'm sure people will tell you horror stories. You have to verify all studies and their veracity and there will always be a necessity of risks vs. benefits weighing. But sleep can significantly affect a child's health and well-being so it shouldn't be taken lightly and should be researched and deliberated well.

Good luck!!

Merrymom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 6:23 pm
If you need it then take it but first make sure there isn't any other issue going on such as caffeine from soda, hot cocoa, chocolate milk, etc. Make sure there are no lights on anywhere near his room (other than a flashlight/bed light for a half hour of reading) and that the house is quiet and extremely boring. I know some people who wanted to put their kids on melatonin but really it was just that there was too much stimulation going on in the home.

ElTam

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 8:07 pm
I've never tried it but I have lots of friends who use it with their kids. Do you feel comfortable with your pediatrician? If so, I would trust him/her.

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 8:19 pm
My son's Dr recommended it also when he was around your son's age. My son took it maybe 2 or 3 times. Once was on a long flight. It worked. He did use out for a long time.

Dini20

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 8:23 pm
One of the jewish mags had an article on this recently. I think I still have it somewhere. If you want me to scan it & email it to you, PM me with an email address.

Mini Cookie

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 9:59 pm
Try calcium supplement first. A lack of calcium has been proven to cause insomnia. It was written up in the Ami Magazine recently...

taken from insomnia-connection.com

Quote:
Most of us only get a third of the recommended daily dose of calcium our bodies need. Calcium and insomnia have long been linked, with calcium deficiency causing increased tension and sleep disturbances. Calcium is a helpful way to relax, explaining why your grandma would bring you a warm glass of milk at bedtime. Stick with Grandma’s homemade remedy, but to reach the needed calcium allowance, take a calcium citrate or calcium hydroxyapatite supplement.

Don't let those big words make your eyes glaze over. See, you are already getting sleepy! Many people absorb calcium better from calcium citrate because it dissolves in water. The citrate is also considered safer and preferred by vegetarians as an animal-free source. Calcium hydroxyapatite occurs naturally in bone, and is often the choice for those at risk of osteoporosis.

Last edited by Mini Cookie on Tue, Jan 24 2012, 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 10:01 pm
I did a lot of my own research on malatonim. I discovered that it is there to fill in the missing sleep hormone the kid needs at night to help him fall asleep. So far I didn't see any side effects or addiction. My kids take one mg five nights a week. Without that they are up until midnight or later. The healthfood stores say you should skip every third-fourth night if possible. I tried many other things first and nothing helped.

Mini Cookie

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 10:12 pm
There has been a lot of talk recently of the side effects of melatonin...

Taken from melatoninfaq.com

Quote:
If you want to take melatonin supplements, melatonin side effects may include:
Sleepiness during daytime
Feeling Dizzy
Headaches
Gastric disturbance and abdominal discomfort
Confusion
Sleepwalking
Vivid dreams or Vivid Nightmares
Mental or Mood Changes
Lowering of body temperature
Decreased libido
Breast enlargement in men (gynecomastia)
Decreased sperm count

Hormonal effects are also associated with the use of melatonin supplements. This includes increase or decrease in thyroid hormone, growth hormone, prolactin, progesterone, estradiol, cortisol and others.

The objective of the present study was to assess the toxicology of melatonin (10 mg), administered for 28 days to 40 volunteers randomly assigned to groups receiving either melatonin (N = 30) or placebo (N = 10) in a double-blind fashion. The following measurements were performed: polysomnography (PSG), laboratory examinations, including complete blood count, urinalysis, sodium, potassium and calcium levels, total protein levels, albumin, blood glucose, triglycerides, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL), low-density lipoprotein (LDL), and very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL), urea, creatinine, uric acid, glutamic-oxalacetic transaminase (GOT), glutamic-pyruvate transaminase (GPT), bilirubin, alkaline phosphatase, gama-glutamic transaminase (GGT), T3, T4, TSH, LH/FSH, cortisol, and melatonin serum concentrations.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 10:14 pm
Molly-baruch hashem my children had zero side effects of malatonim as they are given a small dose only.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics