Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Infant vs convertible carseat

EveryBreathAGift

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 8:05 pm
Expecting my first imyH and have no experience in strollers/cars eats. I spent a long time on stroller research and (I think) am pretty settled on uppa baby vista. Began the car seat search as of recently, and feel like I made a mistake starting with the stoller search since the uppa baby is only compatible with certain car seat brands. But wait...
1) why does a stroller need to be compatible with a car seat anyway? the uppababy comes with a basinet, so why do I need a car seat to click into it?
2) a convertible car seat seems like the obvious choice, but is an infant one better for the first X months?
3) according to the peg perego blog, their convertible carseat (primo viaggio SIP convertible) isn't meant to be taken out of the car, so it can't click into stollers but......according to the uppa baby website, they sell a car seat adaptor for the peg perego viaggio convertible....?

please help!

tovli toraspicha

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:12 pm
As far as I know, convertible car seats are much larger and are not meant to be removed from the car- you can't carry the baby out of the car in the car seat. An infant car seat can be removed easily from the car- there is a base that is left in the car and it clicks in and out-- so if the baby is sleeping in the car seat, instead of waking the baby up and taking the baby out of the car seat and then putting them into the stroller every time you leave the car,and then back into the car seat when you go back in, you just click out the infant car seat with the baby sleeping in it and click it onto your stroller. I loved this feature of the infant car seat/uppa baby vista. It is especially convenient when you are in and out of the car/ doing errands.. Eventually (sometime after a year), the baby will grow out of the infant car seat and need a larger convertible though, either way...

spring13

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:44 pm
The advantages of infant seats are

A. They can be easily transferred from one car to another (either get more than one base, or you can install them with a seatbelt).
B. They can be clicked onto a stroller frame/into a stroller so that you can move the baby from car to house to stroller and back without unbuckling the baby. This can be nice when you have a kid that's asleep (although I found that moving a newborn from the carseat to a front carrier for errands didn't seem to bug her, she went right back to sleep against my chest).
C. They're lighter weight and therefore easier to move around when necessary. They're also smaller, so they take up less backseat space, which can matter if you have other passengers.

The advantages of convertible seats are
A. You only need to buy one carseat for the entire length of time that your kid needs one, if you get something with a decent size range (which isn't hard to do).
B. They're roomier and tend to be more comfortable for long rides.
C. Shlepping an infant seat can be a pain, and some people don't end up using them in that way, in which case having one is sort of pointless.

So it can be a matter of priorities. If you think you'll be getting your baby in and out of the car a lot, and going from house to stroller to vehicle and back often, then getting an infant seat will probably be helpful. If you're looking to save money or prefer to carry the baby in other ways (ie: it's a good idea not to keep your kid strapped in a bucket seat 24/7 for a variety of reasons), or if you don't anticipate using the car a lot, then just a convertible ought to work for you.

If you want my opinion: if you do decide to get an infant seat, then get one that fits in your stroller. It's sort of a waste of potential use not to. But then again, it's also kind of a waste of the bassinet that comes with an Uppababy to use the carseat all the time instead, and I think that if you have the bassinet, it would be more comfortable and otherwise beneficial to use it more often anyway Smile Heehee, that probably didn't help much, did it? Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:48 pm
There is a Peg Perego Viaggio that's an infant only car seat.

EveryBreathAGift

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 9:51 pm
actually both of these replies are super helpful, thank you!
any other input would be appreciated Very Happy

miami85

Post Sun, Jan 29 2012, 11:53 pm
I would add that a lot of it depends on how you plan to use the car seat, what your personal car situation is and your financial picture is. First of all, the infant seats I think I have read that they tend to be better for smaller babies--premies -5-7 lbs. With convertibles, it can be very annoying to transfer from one car to another, so if you have more than one car, or take taxis a lot, having an infant seat is great (even in a taxi just pull the seatbelt through the top hooks, the convertible you have to thread through the back etc.). If you are hardly ever in a car then you can use the stroller, fine. As for the financial side, convertibles tend to be $200-$300 whereas a infant seat can be--especially graco which work great and very compatible with other strollers are like $150--some less than $100! If you are not in a position to fork over a lot of money at first. If you have more than one car you may need more than one convertible which adds to the cost. It will depend also what time of year your baby is born--winter/summer, if you need to bundle him/her up than keeping him/her snug in the car seat with a blanket on top or a bundle me is so much easier than dealing with a snow suit. Also think about the scenario that you've finally gotten your baby to fall asleep after driving in the car you don't really want to take him/her out of the car seat just to take him/her inside--thus unclick the infant seat and carry baby and all. I have a neighbor who has an uppa baby vista AND a snap n' go. I think the snap n' go is much easier to take in and out of a car than the big uppa baby. Hope this helps.

EveryBreathAGift

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 10:01 pm
thank you for everyone's reply...these are all things I haven't really considered.
Our situation is as follows:
Two cars (no buses, cabs, or any other type of transport really), and we live in a climate where we don't really have winter, so the snow suit/bundle is a non issue.
Right now, I'm leaning towards a convertible but I have a few issues:
1) those things seem HUGE and I can't imagine putting an itty bittiy baby into such a large seat and have it be safe
2) how do I go to the store??? I can't imagine taking a stroller into a grocery store with me, and the only the only thing I've seen people do is bring their babies in car seats...but if I have a convertible, that's clearly out of the question.....

Thoughts?

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:11 am
EveryBreathAGift wrote:
thank you for everyone's reply...these are all things I haven't really considered.
Our situation is as follows:
Two cars (no buses, cabs, or any other type of transport really), and we live in a climate where we don't really have winter, so the snow suit/bundle is a non issue.
Right now, I'm leaning towards a convertible but I have a few issues:
1) those things seem HUGE and I can't imagine putting an itty bittiy baby into such a large seat and have it be safe
2) how do I go to the store??? I can't imagine taking a stroller into a grocery store with me, and the only the only thing I've seen people do is bring their babies in car seats...but if I have a convertible, that's clearly out of the question.....
Thoughts?

1.) Most convertibles come with inserts for smaller babies. The top part of my First Years TrueFit actually comes off, so you can have it be somewhat shorter until the baby grows to a certain height. These seats are designed to be used from generally around 5 pounds. Look into a few, check out websites - you'll get a better idea of how they work for little babies. They really are ok! Have you been thinking of a particular brand/model?

2.) GET A FRONT CARRIER! Smile I'm really short, so shlepping an infant carseat around in my arms is awkward, and if I put it on top of the shopping cart I can't see where I'm going. plus, I don't think it's so safe to do that anyway. until DD was old enough to sit up on her own, I wore her when we went shopping. we were both very happy that way! some stores have carts with attached infant seats, but I still preferred babywearing. which carrier to get is another topic though...

little_mage

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 9:20 am
If you're serious about a convertible, check the laws in your state. Here they won't let you leave the hospital without a car seat, and someone told me that convertibles aren't allowed, although I don't know exactly how true that is.

spring13

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:56 pm
little_mage wrote:
If you're serious about a convertible, check the laws in your state. Here they won't let you leave the hospital without a car seat, and someone told me that convertibles aren't allowed, although I don't know exactly how true that is.

That makes zero sense. Convertibles are designed to be safe for 5 pounds or so and up; check any manufacturer. People are just so used to infant bucket seats that they don't realize convertibles are a possibility.

EveryBreathAGift

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:59 pm
Thanks for everyone's insight!
I'm leaning towards an infant seat that's compatible with the stroller.....

EveryBreathAGift

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 9:05 pm
has anyone gotten an infant car seat but wished they didn't and just went for a convertible one from the beginning?

yb

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 9:22 pm
definitely go for the infant car seat. Even if you don't carry it around a lot, you will need to put the baby down somewhere when you get home with packages, when you have to run in for something, when...lots of things. Just think: baby is asleep in car, you get to a friend's house and want to go in. Said friend doesn't have a kid/kid things. You unbuckle your baby (probably waking him/her up) and then...have nowhere to put your baby down in your friend's house. Just an example, but it can happen a lot.

As for groceries, I've done the baby wrap (Moby), or clicked the carseat in the cart. If I'm not doing a lot of shopping, I take the snap n go.

Have you thought of the snap n go? It fits any carseat, is super light and easy to use, plus folds up very quickly and easily. Not too expensive and useful for at least the first 6-9 months when you are using the infant car seat. I leave the stroller (with bassinette) at home for walks, shabbos, etc., and have the snap n go in the car.

yb

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 9:23 pm
snap n go link if you're interested

nylon

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 9:51 pm
spring13 wrote:
little_mage wrote:

That makes zero sense. Convertibles are designed to be safe for 5 pounds or so and up; check any manufacturer. People are just so used to infant bucket seats that they don't realize convertibles are a possibility.

Keep in mind that some convertibles are rated from 5 lbs but can't actually take a newborn! Unless they've fixed it, britax used to be notorious for this. The strap slots need t be below baby's shoulders. Well, the lowest strap slot for Britax convertibles is too high for all but the biggest newborns. If you ask a CPST they can tell you which seats will take very small infants.

I like having the infant seat because my kids fall asleep in the car. Easier not to take them in and out as much.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Feb 04 2012, 10:55 pm
Agreed; very few seats fit an infant well. The True Fit does from my experience, but very few others do.
Not even all infant seats fit tiny babies so well!

EveryBreathAGift

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 11:08 am
yb wrote:

alright I'm convinced I need an infant seat to start with....
in terms of the snap 'n go, I was just gonna use the stroller, since I'm planning on using the bassinet the stroller comes with as a bed for the first few months instead of a crib.....the snap n go does look a lot simpler to shlep around than the stroller though.......
has anyone had (and used) both? I'm afraid of getting it and then having it just sit around.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 11:23 am
If you own a car, you can just leave it in the car. Then you don't have to worry about the stroller being in the car over Shabbos. You shouldn't use the stroller as a snap n go when not using a car seat for the car, anyway. It's really better for an infant to be reclined in a stroller. So unless you need him in the car seat because you've travelled by car, you're going to want to use the stroller as a regular stroller.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 2:49 pm
here is my experience.

DD1 HATED her car seat (infant) car sear. we tried everyhting form getting her a dvd player for the car to me always sitting the back with her. she hated it. At 6 months old we switched her to a britax convertible and she was MUCH better in the car.

dd2 we had an infant carseat and from DAY ON coming form the hospital she screamed any time she was in it. By 6 weeks old we could not go anywher with her because it was a nightmare. One day we tried putting her in her big sister (16 months old and still 18 lbs) car seat and putting her sister back in the infant seat. she was AMAZING. totally differnent kid. we tried it again and again she was great. we went and got my 6 week old baby a convertable carseat. Life is GREAT she sleeps in the car and is wonderful. we tried to switch her bac to the infant for a short ride and it was back to screaming. NOT WORTH IT. I use a ring sling or a wrap when I need ot make a trip with her and dd1 rides in the cart.

we HAVE had other kids use the infant seat between kids so we know its not the seat and my oldest used it a few times in a pintch while going out. so its not the seat.

then again touch the infant seat then a convertable the bigger ones are SOOOO much mroe padded and better if I were a kid I would not want to be siting on hard plastic all day.

for number 3 our seat will be expired and we will not be getting another infant seat.

jelly belly

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 3:05 pm
EveryBreathAGift wrote:
yb wrote:

alright I'm convinced I need an infant seat to start with....
in terms of the snap 'n go, I was just gonna use the stroller, since I'm planning on using the bassinet the stroller comes with as a bed for the first few months instead of a crib.....the snap n go does look a lot simpler to shlep around than the stroller though.......
has anyone had (and used) both? I'm afraid of getting it and then having it just sit around.

Yes, I had and used both and found it to be very convenient. I had the bassinet in the stroller, and I used it as a bed at home and also for walks outside. It was nice to be able to rock the bassinet on the stroller frame to help the baby get back to sleep.

I kept the snap n go frame in my trunk so I never had to lug the stroller in and out. When I drove somewhere, I just clicked the car seat on and we were set. If I got home and baby was sleeping, I loved having the convenience of carrying the car seat in without waking baby up. And because infant seats usually have a base that stays in the car, its so easy to pop the car seat in and out.

Also, if you may have another child before this one outgrows the convertible, you will need another car seat anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics