Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hep b vax: what is it, and what are the pros and cons?
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 8:35 am
There are many, many types of hepatitis. Most do not have vaccines.

Hep B cannot be transmitted through contaminated food. It is possible that there is a concern you might need medical attention and have a bad blood transfusion in third world countries, I suppose, but really travelling doesn't make it likely to contract the disease unless you're doing drugs or whatever on your vacation Smile

Peanut2

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 8:56 am
Ruchel wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ruchel, you always mix this up with the Hepatitis A you got from food.

I was given the hep B before a trip, so maybe the doctor also mixed up? or it's a medical machlokes? I really wonder about that.
My dad got an infection from eating on dirty dishes in Egypt, and it turned into a hepatitis. He recovered and now it's long gone but it was horrible. Weirdly the doctors have never been able to say which hep it was...

Your dad got A. The others you don't get from food.
You may indeed have gotten the vax for B. It is transmitted through bodily fluids, but can live for a while outside the body. It would be a good thing to get before traveling to the developing world. Where did you go?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:02 am
I think it may have been before going to Tunisia.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:18 am
what exactly IS hepatitis?

I am iy"h due after pesach, so I have some time to figure it out...thanks for all your help guys Smile

sima

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 11:27 am
it's a liver disease and you can get it from non-risky behavior.I think it's worth giving, the risks are so minimal but the disease can be harmful especially if not treated.

Inspired

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 11:31 am
sima wrote:
it's a liver disease and you can get it from non-risky behavior.I think it's worth giving, the risks are so minimal but the disease can be harmful especially if not treated.

It is an STD.You could technically get HIV from "non risky behavior" as well, statistically it is extremely unlikely. If there was an HIV vaccine would you give it to your newborn baby just in case someone stabbed them with an infected needle outside the hospital as you were on the way home?

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:03 pm
Quote:
just wanted to add some additional nastiness about the vax and its administration procedures. in many hospitals, the default is that the baby will get the shot unless you ask them not to give it. some dr's will bully you into it (or try to), its 'required' for school admission.
some dr's will even tell you its good for the child to have the vaccine incase they are ever mole

This is not true. It is not a default. Parents must sign in order to have it done. Some nurses can be more aggressive, but No one ever coerced me into giving it, once I laid out my reasoning for not doing it. And no one ever used the "school requires it" on me either.

It's fine to say that they can be pushy, because it is sometimes true. I have had quite a few hospital births, and have never had a problem saying no. My children were never pricked, or immunized without my permission and this is pretty standard in most hospitals.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:08 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Quote:
just wanted to add some additional nastiness about the vax and its administration procedures. in many hospitals, the default is that the baby will get the shot unless you ask them not to give it. some dr's will bully you into it (or try to), its 'required' for school admission.
some dr's will even tell you its good for the child to have the vaccine incase they are ever mole

This is not true. It is not a default. Parents must sign in order to have it done. Some nurses can be more aggressive, but No one ever coerced me into giving it, once I laid out my reasoning for not doing it. And no one ever used the "school requires it" on me either.

It's fine to say that they can be pushy, because it is sometimes true. I have had quite a few hospital births, and have never had a problem saying no. My children were never pricked, or immunized without my permission and this is pretty standard in most hospitals.

I guess it depends on your hospital and your ped. if you go into labor without a private pediatrician, you are at the mercy of hospital protocol for newborn procedures, which includes hep b vax. they do not always ask specifically if you want the vax. I was in a well respected teaching hospital but was naive/stupid enough to think I didnt need to choose a ped until the baby was born (what was I thinking???) and could trust the attending pediatrician. whom I knew from my professional life (I worked at the same hospital). and they vaccinated my dd without my permission, much less my signature. when I got mad I was told its standard procedure.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 9:16 pm
I pre-registered today at the hospital I will be'H be giving birth in within the next week or so. On the consent form, I wrote (and initialed) in large letters "all of the above requires my informed consent." I don't know if it will make a difference at all, but I figured it can't hurt my chances that they will actually seek consent before doing anything to the baby. I plan on keeping the baby at my side, but anything can happen in a hospital.

Marion

Post Thu, Jan 26 2012, 10:20 pm
In Israel the HepB vaccine IS standard and they only need your consent (signature) NOT to give it.

My father got HepC (I believe) in Israel 40-odd years ago...he cut his lip on the sharp edge of a pop (soda) can which was somehow contaminated. He spent 6 of his 8 weeks' trip visiting in Ein Karem...

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 8:10 pm
granolamom wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Quote:

I guess it depends on your hospital and your ped. if you go into labor without a private pediatrician, you are at the mercy of hospital protocol for newborn procedures, which includes hep b vax. they do not always ask specifically if you want the vax. I was in a well respected teaching hospital but was naive/stupid enough to think I didnt need to choose a ped until the baby was born (what was I thinking???) and could trust the attending pediatrician. whom I knew from my professional life (I worked at the same hospital). and they vaccinated my dd without my permission, much less my signature. when I got mad I was told its standard procedure.

My private Ped did not have rights at my hospital until my last birth. That was not an issue at all. I was asked and I declined the vaccine for all of my kids. I didn't need to have a ped on file for them not to give it.

granolamom

Post Mon, Jan 30 2012, 8:53 pm
not saying you need a ped on file. just that if you do have a ped you can have the conversation with him prior to the birth. if you dont have a pediatrician, and dont check in advance with the hospital as to what their 'default' position is, they very well might vax without your explicit consent. like I said, it probably depends on the hospital.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics