Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
1  2  Next

SV

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:03 am
For some reason, I can never get my chicken on the bone to have that moist, soft, falling-off-the-bone kind of texture. I always bake it covered, and try to make sure there is enough liquid/sauce on the bottom of the pan. What am I doing wrong? Any specific tips and/or recipes?

Thanks!

Last edited by SV on Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 11:11 am
Here's my TnT recipe.
Skin legs. Marinate in equal parts oil and lemon juice, with spices like paprika, garlic, parsley.
Coat in cornflake crumbs. Bake at 375 for 2 hours.
Low, slow baking (maybe even at 350) gives moist soft chicken.

mizle10

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:17 pm
If you want it really falling off the bone soft, bake it on 350 covered for about 3 hours. It needs a long time for that sotness.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:21 pm
I bake it at 275 covered for a good 4 hours. then I make it on broil for 10-15 minutes for a nice color.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 2:56 pm
Marinating before baking helps to keep the meat moist. I usually do a mix of white wine, chopped vegetables (onion, celery, carrots), maybe a bit of herb if I have some handy. Just pour marinade and veggies together with chicken in ceramic or pyrex oven-proof casserole.

I cover with double-foil, cook in 150C for 2-3 hours. I also skin and use 1/8th cut roaster. If I want browner/less pale chicken, I may keep the skin on, dust flour salt & pepper and first sear.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:04 pm
use bone-in chicken bottoms. leave the skin intact.
bake tightly covered at 325 for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
this recipe, made in the crockpot, or in the oven as described above, makes melt in your mouth chicken.
you can use 4 garlic cloves cut in half instead of 20 whole ones if you are short on time.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....arlic

peppermint

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:16 pm
mizle10 wrote:
If you want it really falling off the bone soft, bake it on 350 covered for about 3 hours. It needs a long time for that sotness.

I once tried this and I got dried out chicken, burnt potatoes and a pyrex dish that was impossible to clean Sad

iluvy

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 5:58 pm
I bake chicken on the bone in a bag, covered with garlic powder and Italian dressing, at 350 for 2 hours. It is incredibly delicious, falling off the bone.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 6:02 pm
peppermint wrote:
mizle10 wrote:

I once tried this and I got dried out chicken, burnt potatoes and a pyrex dish that was impossible to clean Sad
If you're using glass or corningware, you would need to lower the oven temp significantly, and prob add water as well.

Best to use a disposable pan or non-disposable black roaster made for this purpose.

SV

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:54 am
Thanks everyone! So it sounds like the trick is to keep the skin on and to bake it on low for a while.

Can I add rice withwater underneath chicken cooked this way for a one pot meal? Or will that affect the taste/texture of chicken?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:03 am
SV wrote:
Thanks everyone! So it sounds like the trick is to keep the skin on and to bake it on low for a while.

Can I add rice withwater underneath chicken cooked this way for a one pot meal? Or will that affect the taste/texture of chicken?

FWIW my marinated coated chicken is skinned. May not come out exactly how you envisioned but not bad.
Re the rice, with the chicken of your choice - the rice is heavenly. Won't affect the chicken other than it having rice stuck on the bottom.

Simple1

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:35 am
I don't know if it's my imagination, but I think when I buy good quality chicken and use it fresh (not frozen defrosted) it comes out good no matter how I make - I usually use the same method anyway - bake uncovered at 350 or 400 on (convection setting,now that I have one) for 1 1/2 hours uncovered.

mizle10

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:14 am
ra_mom wrote:
peppermint wrote:
mizle10 wrote:

If you're using glass or corningware, you would need to lower the oven temp significantly, and prob add water as well.

Best to use a disposable pan or non-disposable black roaster made for this purpose.

I use a glass dish. I put it on 350-375 and no water. Bake for min 2.5 hours. It comes out great every time.

eatingbagels

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:40 am
For a large crowd, you cut up sweet and regular potatoes, put it on bottom. Put unskinned chicken on top, cover in garlic powder/onion powder (you can put on a lot) and then cover the whole thing in duck sauce.
It's disgustingly unhealthy, I know, but it's a huge hit and people love it. (Maybe try to substitute a healthier sweet sauce.) Cover and bake on 350 for 3 hours. You can serve the potatoes in a separate bowl, and then- voila! - you have 2 dishes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:48 pm
SV wrote:

Sure.
See this post for falling off the bone soft chicken and rice.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....+rice
When I do it, it's usually when I have to leave the house for a bit, so I'll put the oven on like 300 for 3 1/2 hours. (Or something like that.)

spring13

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:57 pm
Use whole chickens, not cut-up pieces; it really makes a difference!

These are two of my favorite whole-roast recipes:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/r......aspx - slow roast at a low temp = melts-in-your-mouth good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/b......aspx - a little more unusual, totally delicious.

ray family

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:29 pm
bake for a good 3-4 hrs.

also, if you're not cooking for a crowd chicken made in a pot is very tender

SV

Post Fri, Feb 10 2012, 1:42 pm
I am probably posting this WAY too close to shabbos, but what's the best way to re-heat this type of chicken erev shabbos? (I usually do all my cooking Thursday night since I get home at most 2 hours before candlelighting)

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 10 2012, 1:49 pm
SV wrote:
I am probably posting this WAY too close to shabbos, but what's the best way to re-heat this type of chicken erev shabbos? (I usually do all my cooking Thursday night since I get home at most 2 hours before candlelighting)
Keep it tightly covered and heat through

cookielady

Post Fri, Feb 10 2012, 2:30 pm
I was just about to post about a recipe posted here for sticky chicken. Then I saw someone posted a sticky chicken recipe. It can only be described as moist, delicious and slides off the bones. Just plan your oven use because it really does need the 4-5 hours. This is the only recipe I leave skin on the chicken. It makes a big difference.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey