Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you use hot tap water when cooking?- Lead exposure?
Previous  1  2

When you boil water for food, do you use hot or cold H20 f/ the tap?
Hot - best shortcut ever!  
 15%  [ 7 ]
Cold - no lead poisoning, everyone's happy.  
 84%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 46

little_mage

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:28 pm
I use hot water. However, if you're really concerned and impatient, you could buy a testing kit. I don't know about the efficacy of the kits, but they do sell home water testing kits. You could see if there actually is lead in your hot water versus your cold.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 12:58 pm
I would never move in a place with lead, is that even still lawful? I think here the owner needs to change the pipes.

shanie5

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 3:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I would never move in a place with lead, is that even still lawful? I think here the owner needs to change the pipes.

It may not be lawful to put in lead pipes now, but older houses will be 'grandfathered in'. Meaning they don't have to change the pipes.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 4:09 pm
I remember reading in a book by Dr. Andrew Weill that hot tap water is not fit for human consumption. I have never used it since then. But, living in Israel, I wonder if there is the same danger as in the U.S.... I recently installed a filter in my kitchen, btw. The tap water is horrendous around here and we got sick of shlepping bottles.

chanahlady

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 5:22 pm
Hot water on plastic isn't so great for you, either. Chemicals can leach out of the plastic into the water.

Raizle

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 6:17 pm
Liba wrote:
My house is 11 years old and the pipes are all plastic so I most certainly don't worry about lead. I also don't generally have hot water available from the tap for washing dishes or cooking. I use boiling water from my stainless steel hot water urn. Smile

Isn't plastic made of chemicals too?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:43 pm
Not good idea to use hot water for cooking.

Even if you have pipes made of diamonds and a hot water tank made of platinum, that water has been sitting a while, and while hot or warm. Stuff can grow in it. It's not distilled water. It can safely have stuff in it for the outside of the body, with soap, but it is not fit to put into the body.

You have been doing this and you are still here, and fine, but it is not a good idea.

It's convenient to have a hot water coffee/tea urn on during cooking, especially cooking for a lot of people. Kitchen companions can have tea, and you can top up a pot that's getting low with already hot water.

Tap hot water is for washing.

Inspired

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 1:57 am
The water heater was not meant to be drank from. The idea really sickens me.

willow

Post Fri, Feb 03 2012, 4:43 am
I never knew this so thank you for letting me know.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics