Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Febrile seizure

mom2twins

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 9:23 pm
Hi, my son (3 yrs old) had a febrile seizure about two weeks ago. My husband and my self were and are very freaked out about it to say the least. I was just looking to hear from someone who has gone through the same thing for some words of wisdom as to how to kind of move past it.

healthymama

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:27 am
We have a close friend who had that with her daughter. There are no lasting effects, as far as they can tell. Everything seems fine.

How long was it ?

Jo

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 7:06 am
Very commonly seen between the ages of around 6 months and 5 yrs.
Best things to do in the future - take off clothes, stick a fan on and give tynelol and/or brufen when you notice the temp is going up, and give regular doses while child is still spiking fevers.
Call for help if going on longer than 2-3 mins.
The good thing is that it is only rarely associated with any long term effects...
Pretty scary at the time, but hopefully was a one-off episode.

withhumor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:13 pm
Do not get alarmed. I assume your pediatrician has ordered a CT scan and that it showed up as a simple febrile seizure, from fever. If that’s so, then just remember that your child will be more prone to having it again if their body temperature goes up too high, too fast, or drops too fast. This means that if your kid has fever, do not dunk them into a bath with cold water because that will drop the temperature very suddenly, and that too can cause a febrile seizure. Basically, the rule of the game is to AVOID fever as much as possible for such kids! My pediatrician told me, better keep giving Tylenol & Motrin (overlapping doses) round the clock for a few days in a row, that to suffer the consequences of another seizure. Spoken from the heart…

Like the above mentioned tips – remove all clothes, and if after 20 minutes it doesn’t help a bit, take a towel and soak it in lukewarm water and wrap the child with it. The water will cool off slowly and that usually helps. I ask for a towel in the E.R. because they don’t send you home until the temperature drops yet they don’t do anything besides give the kid Tylenol! So I undress the kid & ask for a towel. Works right away.

Annie

Post Fri, Sep 29 2006, 1:28 am
everyone gave you the advice I'd have given you, but I'll just add that my nephew had them as a kid two or three times when his fever got high. He's a perfectly normal 24 year old now, without any after effects at all.

They are really scary when they happen though.h

frummom

Post Fri, Sep 29 2006, 9:42 am
no new advice - but I've been there and I totally understand how you feel! my daughter had one when she was around 2, and it completely freaked me out. she's 5 now and she hasn't had one since, b'li ayin hora. I'm still more nervous when she gets a fever than I am with my other kids, but that's faded with time too.

I just remind myself that even though it looks scary, it's really not dangerous...and I daven that it shouldn't happen again (so far, so good)!

SZ mother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:28 pm
I just came home from the hospital with my son 3 and a half years old... he had a seizure.... It was soooo scary, he have had in the past, 3 times, but then such a long time passed, 18 months that I thought he outgrew of it...
So now that everyone is in a natural era, don't give anything so the fever itself will kill the virus, yeah right....
He had it, he turned very light blue, Thank G-d I wasn't so nervous, I knew it will pass, but still...
Is he really going to outgorw it?
I want to hear more experiences.... Please!

SZ mother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 10:03 pm
bump

cdawnr

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 9:20 am
My dd had 3 this summer (starting at 18 months)-- I keep motrin or tyulenol in my diaper bag and if she has even the slightest sign of fever we drug her. Smile

The first time we totally freaked, of course, and called hatzala and went to the hospital. The second time we only called an ambulance but didn't go to the er and hte third time we just called the doctor (I was freaked cause I didn't think she hada temp, but she did...) She is prone even at 101. Needless to say, I am constantly running my hand over her forehead and her back to see if she has a temp.

I tell all childcare providers about it...since the first one happened after she woke up from a nap with a fever...she had not been sick before that.

The doc just said make sure there is nothing in her mouth and that if it goes longer than 3 or 4 minutes call hatzolah.

I have talked to A LOT of people about it since it happened because it is sooo scary. Several people I know had them as kids and are now totally normal adults, so That took a lot of worry from me.

Also, once the child has had the seizure they should be motrined/tylenoled for 24 hours and watched closely during that time because my dr said that the 24 hours after a seizure they are most prone to a repeat.

Anyone want to discuss more, feel free to pm, although I think that is all the knowledge I have.

SZmom -- the blue has never happened to her. She gets very stiff and then shaky and her eyes roll back in her head.
Oh and afterwards expect that they will sleep a lot and deeply, the seizure takes a lot out of them.

Jo

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:03 am
SZ mother - I would expect a child to outgrow the febrile seizures by the age of 5...in the meantime it really does make sense to give him tylenol and/or motrim if he is unwell and getting hot as he does seem to be prone to them.

cdawnr

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 10:40 am
Oh...was she asking whether to give the tylenol/motrin or not?

Even my friend who is a naturopath agreed that I should give my dd something if she gets a temp since she is prone.

mizle10

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 1:33 pm
My 19 month old just had one. I'm so freaked out, I can't get a grip on myself.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 1:42 pm
I had this with my son. The first one happened at like 6 am he happened to be sleeping in my bed and I never saw this before I all of a sudden freaked out. My dh ran and put him in the bath and we called the doctor. It turns out my dh was pretty calm about it because he had them as a child and so he knew what it was to me it was so scary. My son has outgrown them b"h since he was four years old. It's over a year since he had one. But he has had plenty and everytime I was a nervous wreck because you never know if this time he won't come out of it. Of course afterwards you can say it's no big deal but as a child is going through it you never know if this one will have an effect. From my experience my son has gotten a febrile seizure when his temperature was only 99. It's when fever spikes rapidly so if he is 97 and suddenly shoots to 99 then he will get it. I always check his fever even now in his sleep I'll check him because you can never know if he is over it or not.

All I can say is op good luck it is really scary to live with this fear that he can get it at any second. Another thing we did was that if he ever had a fever and we gave him motrin then we would keep him up for at least an hour to make sure the motrin kicked in so what we did was let him watch a video even if it was 3 am. Sometimes my dh would put him in his bed and let him watch on my phone to make sure that he doesn't fall asleep.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics