Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bruises after surgery

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 2:22 pm
My baby girl had a minor surgery today (PE tubes - ear tubes). When I got her home, I noticed that she has a large bruise on the back of her upper leg. It is about 5 inches long and about an inch wide. She also has a smaller bruise on the inside of her wrist, maybe half an inch long, with a little blood spot. The smaller bruise almost looks like a bruise from an IV, but she did not have any blood drawn or IVs.

When I first noticed the bruises, I thought, "Oh, no, they were not very careful with my baby when I left her in the OR." Then I thought that maybe these kinds of bruises are normal. She had already woken up from the anesthesia by the time I was reunited with her in the recovery area. She was very upset and the nurses were trying to calm her, which, I am told, is very normal for little kids when they wake up disoriented from the anesthesia. Maybe she hurt herself thrashing around. I don't know.

Should I call and let them know about the bruises? Maybe they would know what happened that might have caused the bruising. Then I would think they would have already mentioned anything unusual they noticed when I was at the hospital. They probably wouldn't even remember her after a full day of surgeries.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here, wondering what could have happened when the nature of the surgery was so unlikely to cause any kind of trauma to the rest of her body. Thanks for listening to my maternal worries. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics