Home

ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

SV

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:03 pm       Post subject: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
For some reason, I can never get my chicken on the bone to have that moist, soft, falling-off-the-bone kind of texture. I always bake it covered, and try to make sure there is enough liquid/sauce on the bottom of the pan. What am I doing wrong? Any specific tips and/or recipes?

Thanks!

Last edited by SV on Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

PinkFridge

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 12:11 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
Here's my TnT recipe.
Skin legs. Marinate in equal parts oil and lemon juice, with spices like paprika, garlic, parsley.
Coat in cornflake crumbs. Bake at 375 for 2 hours.
Low, slow baking (maybe even at 350) gives moist soft chicken.
The righteous praise and honor people for every good quality that is found in them while the wicked seek out faults in others to pull them down, even if they repented those deeds. (Rabbeinu Yonah, from Partners in Kindness)

mizle10

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:17 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
If you want it really falling off the bone soft, bake it on 350 covered for about 3 hours. It needs a long time for that sotness.

yksraya

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:21 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
I bake it at 275 covered for a good 4 hours. then I make it on broil for 10-15 minutes for a nice color.

Mrs Bissli

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 3:56 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
Marinating before baking helps to keep the meat moist. I usually do a mix of white wine, chopped vegetables (onion, celery, carrots), maybe a bit of herb if I have some handy. Just pour marinade and veggies together with chicken in ceramic or pyrex oven-proof casserole.

I cover with double-foil, cook in 150C for 2-3 hours. I also skin and use 1/8th cut roaster. If I want browner/less pale chicken, I may keep the skin on, dust flour salt & pepper and first sear.

ra_mom

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 6:04 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
use bone-in chicken bottoms. leave the skin intact.
bake tightly covered at 325 for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
this recipe, made in the crockpot, or in the oven as described above, makes melt in your mouth chicken.
you can use 4 garlic cloves cut in half instead of 20 whole ones if you are short on time.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ove+garlic

peppermint

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 6:16 pm       Post subject: Re: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
mizle10 wrote:
If you want it really falling off the bone soft, bake it on 350 covered for about 3 hours. It needs a long time for that sotness.

I once tried this and I got dried out chicken, burnt potatoes and a pyrex dish that was impossible to clean Sad

iluvy

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 6:58 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
I bake chicken on the bone in a bag, covered with garlic powder and Italian dressing, at 350 for 2 hours. It is incredibly delicious, falling off the bone.

ra_mom

Post Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012, 7:02 pm       Post subject: Re: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
peppermint wrote:
mizle10 wrote:

I once tried this and I got dried out chicken, burnt potatoes and a pyrex dish that was impossible to clean Sad
If you're using glass or corningware, you would need to lower the oven temp significantly, and prob add water as well.

Best to use a disposable pan or non-disposable black roaster made for this purpose.

SV

Post Posted: Thu, Feb 02 2012, 9:54 am       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
Thanks everyone! So it sounds like the trick is to keep the skin on and to bake it on low for a while.

Can I add rice withwater underneath chicken cooked this way for a one pot meal? Or will that affect the taste/texture of chicken?

PinkFridge

Post Posted: Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:03 am       Post subject: Re: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
SV wrote:
Thanks everyone! So it sounds like the trick is to keep the skin on and to bake it on low for a while.

Can I add rice withwater underneath chicken cooked this way for a one pot meal? Or will that affect the taste/texture of chicken?

FWIW my marinated coated chicken is skinned. May not come out exactly how you envisioned but not bad.
Re the rice, with the chicken of your choice - the rice is heavenly. Won't affect the chicken other than it having rice stuck on the bottom.

Simple1

Post Posted: Thu, Feb 02 2012, 10:35 am       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
I don't know if it's my imagination, but I think when I buy good quality chicken and use it fresh (not frozen defrosted) it comes out good no matter how I make - I usually use the same method anyway - bake uncovered at 350 or 400 on (convection setting,now that I have one) for 1 1/2 hours uncovered.

mizle10

Post Posted: Thu, Feb 02 2012, 11:14 am       Post subject: Re: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
ra_mom wrote:
peppermint wrote:
mizle10 wrote:

If you're using glass or corningware, you would need to lower the oven temp significantly, and prob add water as well.

Best to use a disposable pan or non-disposable black roaster made for this purpose.

I use a glass dish. I put it on 350-375 and no water. Bake for min 2.5 hours. It comes out great every time.

ra_mom

Post Posted: Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:48 pm       Post subject: Re: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
SV wrote:

Sure.
See this post for falling off the bone soft chicken and rice.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....icken+rice
When I do it, it's usually when I have to leave the house for a bit, so I'll put the oven on like 300 for 3 1/2 hours. (Or something like that.)

spring13

Post Posted: Thu, Feb 02 2012, 1:57 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
Use whole chickens, not cut-up pieces; it really makes a difference!

These are two of my favorite whole-roast recipes:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/r.....etail.aspx - slow roast at a low temp = melts-in-your-mouth good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/b.....etail.aspx - a little more unusual, totally delicious.

ray family

Post Posted: Thu, Feb 02 2012, 2:29 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
bake for a good 3-4 hrs.

also, if you're not cooking for a crowd chicken made in a pot is very tender

SV

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 10 2012, 2:42 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
I am probably posting this WAY too close to shabbos, but what's the best way to re-heat this type of chicken erev shabbos? (I usually do all my cooking Thursday night since I get home at most 2 hours before candlelighting)

ra_mom

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 10 2012, 2:49 pm       Post subject: Re: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
SV wrote:
I am probably posting this WAY too close to shabbos, but what's the best way to re-heat this type of chicken erev shabbos? (I usually do all my cooking Thursday night since I get home at most 2 hours before candlelighting)
Keep it tightly covered and heat through

cookielady

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 10 2012, 3:30 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
I was just about to post about a recipe posted here for sticky chicken. Then I saw someone posted a sticky chicken recipe. It can only be described as moist, delicious and slides off the bones. Just plan your oven use because it really does need the 4-5 hours. This is the only recipe I leave skin on the chicken. It makes a big difference.

ellie23

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 10 2012, 5:05 pm       Post subject: re: ISO moist/soft chicken on the bone recipes
I like my bone-in chivken to have a crispy skin and soft melt off meat. this recipe is so simple and amazing. I actally brush it with margarine and season it and then let it sit overnight in the fridge before cooking. cook uncovered only so that the skin gets crispy!

4 chicken breasts , with bone and skin
cup butter , melted
1 -2 teaspoon Season-All salt (I use McCormick's)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400F.
Spray a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Rinse chicken breast under cool running water.
Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
Place chicken in dish.
Brush the melted butter over the chicken, using all the butter.
Sprinkle with seasoned salt.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cooked through.
~NOTE~Chicken takes only 50 minutes in my oven.
Don't over cook, as they might turn out tough.

btw..the risning and patting dry cannot be skipped!!!!
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next