Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How do I get her to eat?

Yael

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 3:26 pm
some of you may have noticed that I havent been on much this past week. my 18 m. old dd has been quite sick with suspected rotavirus. we seem to have turned the corner now and she is getting better. we managed to avoid dehydration with extremely frequent nursing sessions round the clock.
She is still weak and tired, but wont eat any solid foods except tiny nibbles of mac n cheese, pizza and french fries. she is a picky eater at the best of times, now I cant get her to eat anything else at all.
My question now is how do I get her to eat food? and how can incorporate some high calorie foods into these 3 options? I do see when she eats a tiny bit she is less weak, so I know she just needs to start eating.
I have tried pedialyte, but she wont drink it. I have offered her chocolate, she licks it once and puts it down. cookies and cake hold no interest for her.

Any ideas?

TIA

middy

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 3:37 pm
I would try pedialyte ices if she would go for them
like these: http://www.amazon.com/Pedialyt.....RTNNI

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 3:39 pm
first of all, I assume you are in touch with your ped.

Second, it may takes a while for her to regain her normal appetite, whatever that may be.

In the mean time, let her eat whatever and whenever. Dont worry about healthy/not high calorie/not because something is always better than nothing. Even if she is grazing throughout the day, at least it is something. Her stomach is probably still sore and needs time to feel better, so small meals/grazing may be better for now then set meals.

Also, have you tried a BRAT diet? (Banana, rice, applesauce, toast) Not sure if your DD will eat any of that, but it is easy on the stomach and will get her stomach used to food again. Then you can slowly incorporate other things with it (ie, if she eats toast, next time put some PB on it if you have already introduced peanuts)

Refuah sheleima to her

Blue jay

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 3:44 pm
Im sorry your little one had the rotovirus. My twins had the rotovirus and suffered from it for 2 weeks! Their digestive systems were a mess! I found out later on that somehow I was not informed by their pediatrician of a preventative vaccine.

Im happy to hear that your dd is over the worst part. My advice is to keep the fluids coming and plentiful. Getting back into eating may take some more time but believe me when my kids were feeling hundred percent again they ate me out of house and home! Stick to her favorites even add some sweet treats. Frozen yogurt, ice pops to stimulate her appetitite, Stay away from heavy meals.
Let her munch on finger foods while she reads or hangs out with you on the sofa. Dont be too formal when it comes to eating these next few days.

Feel better soon!! Refuah shelaima

paprika

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 3:48 pm
Ice cream.

Blue jay

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 3:49 pm
By the way , I found that Pedialyte is best when used only if necessary,LIke when your child is dehydrated. But as a beverage of choice, it truly is disgusting. I tried it, thinking it would taste or feel like water. ITs soupy and goopy! IF you dont have to feed it to your daughter switch to apple juice flavored water.

Yael

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 4:21 pm
the ped said its probably rotavirus, but said it wasnt necessary to test to be sure. he also confirmed she wasnt dehydrated at that point, and said my goal is to keep pushing fluids and keep hydrated.

about BRAT, out of all them, she eats tiny amounts of banana, which is also one of her favorite foods.
she also had some tiny nibbles of PB on pita. I guess the key is tiny amounts.

I will try some ice cream, and popsicles, thanks for the suggestions.

little_mage

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 4:27 pm
Check out the Sneaky Chef website. She has recipes and proportions for adding vegetable purees to other foods. I know that there is one for mac and cheese. If it doesn't change the taste too much (I haven't tried it...) then she'll get some veggies in when she eats that.
Hope she feels better soon!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics