Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Should our 5 year-old get her ears pierced?

Should our 5 year-old get her ears pierced?
Yes  
 83%  [ 35 ]
No  
 16%  [ 7 ]
Other (explain)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

MrsDash

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 3:46 pm
My husband, and I have been going back, and forth debating whether or not our soon to be 5 year-old daughter should get her ears pierced. We didn't want to do it when she was a baby, because it was a decision we thought was ultimately hers. She's been asking for them for a little while now.

Before a decision is made, I wanted to put up a poll, and see the opinions of other imamothers.

Should we let our 5 year-old get her ears pierced, or should this be pushed off for several years?

Why yes, or why no?

Thanks!

EmesOrNT

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 3:47 pm
Why not?

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 3:50 pm
Where I live they pierce the ears before the babies go home. I waited until my daughter was two.

They actually crazy glue the earing backs onto the earings on the girls.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 3:53 pm
I think if she is asking for them, then why not? My husband and I also agreed that we would wait until my daughter starts asking for her ears to be pierced and then go ahead with it.

grace413

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:16 pm
I am not a fan of earrings on little girls, but of course the choice is yours.

Just keep in mind that many people are allergic to the nickel in costume jewelry (I am) and therefore wearing anything except hypoallergenic or pure gold can cause unpleasant infections.

morah

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:24 pm
Can she be trusted to properly care for the piercing site by herself (especially in the weeks following the piercing)? If not, are you willing to be on top of it, or would you rather wait until you feel she is ready to be responsible for herself?

lamplighter

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:29 pm
I say go for it, but then again I pierced my daughter's ears at 5 weeks.

There was no special care we needed to do for them.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:32 pm
I'm for it, but my husbands not too wild about it. I'm liking the results so far Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:42 pm
morah wrote:
Can she be trusted to properly care for the piercing site by herself (especially in the weeks following the piercing)? If not, are you willing to be on top of it, or would you rather wait until you feel she is ready to be responsible for herself?

Yup. It's why I waited till my girls were 10 or 11, except for the youngest. Her big sisters all ganged up and begged because she was going to be SO cute, and they'd help etc., so we did it at 7 for her.

middy

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:43 pm
I got my daughter's ears pierced at 6 weeks (my midwife did it at the 6 week check up!). My mom freaked out that I was doing it on such a young baby, so she made me call my (Hungarian) pediatrician. She was like, 6 weeks? we do it at 2 days!!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 4:46 pm
Medically, 5 years old is a safe age. She's not going to eat the earrings like a toddler might.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 5:01 pm
If she is asking for it, then why not?

Only thing is caring for them...I know when I got my ears pierced for the next 7 weeks twice a day they had to be turned and dabbed with alcohol to prevent infection. For that reason alone I would wait until she is old enough to do it herself.

spring13

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 8:04 pm
I debated doing it for DD when she was very new, or waiting. I ultimately decided to wait til 5 or 6. I want to make a big deal out of it for her 1st day of kindergarten or 1st grade, turn it into a "you're a big girl now" event.

Simple1

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 9:38 pm
I vote yes - because she is asking for them. If you wait, she might start to get scared and then regret not having done it when she asked for it. Caring for them takes only a few seconds a day for a few weeks. The hard part is making sure not to lose them - you could check often to see that they are not loose.

ilovestrollers

Post Mon, Feb 20 2012, 10:04 pm
We just pierced our DDs' ears. One is five and one is 8 months. Our five year old was just fine during the process. I say go for it!

rb10d

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 3:50 pm
Why not give it to her as a reward for something? If she earns it then she'll take care of it properly.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 10:17 am
I think it's very very young, and you'll deal with her recovery and cleaning given her age too.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 1:38 am
My girls ahve had their ears pierced as a sixth birthday present from their grandmother. She takes them a couple of months before the birthday, that way she can buy them a second pair of earrings for the birthday, as by then the first pair can come out.
We do this half-bas-mitzva, you're-getting-so-big shtick to encourage the girls to start taking care of themselves, - showering independently, brushing their hair, etc, and the earrings sort of fell into that category.
I am extremely particular that only gold is used.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics